[comp.arch] arch. info. request

aw@duke.cs.duke.edu (Angus Wang) (11/13/87)

Can anyone suggest some clear & informative books or
sources on the architecture, memory systems, etc. for
the MPP and the Connection Machine.

Please e-mail any responses to aw@cs.duke.edu
Thanks in advance.

rajiv@im4u.UUCP (Rajiv N. Patel) (11/13/87)

Reference for the Connection Machine:

 The Connection Machine -by- W. Daniel Hillis
			     The MIT Press, Cambridge,
			     Massachusetts, London, England.

This book covers the dissertation of the author.

tbridg@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (11/18/87)

Reference for the MPP:

	GER-17272 (A Goodyear Tech Report) has been included as a
	chapter in:

		The Book of Supercomputers
		Edited by S. Fernbach
		North-Holland Publishing Company

Actually, I haven't seen this book, but the Goodyear Tech report
that I have points to it as "to appear". If you can't find it any-
where else, let me know & I will send you a copy.

eugene@pioneer.arpa (Eugene Miya N.) (11/19/87)

Geez!
MIT Press has published books on both the Connection Machine (Hi Danny!
thanks for letting me know you read comp.arch) and the MPP (Massively
Parallel Processor [Computer networks? what are those? ;-)]

%A W. Daniel Hillis
%T The Connection Machine
%I MIT Press
%C Cambridge, MA
%D 1985
%K book,
grecommended,
%X A collection of papers on the ideals of this architecture.

%A J. L. Potter, ed.
%T The Massively Parallel Processor
%I MIT Press
%C Cambridge, MA
%D 1985
%K MPP, 16,834 bit-slice [sort of] processors, numerical algorithms, SIMD,

%A David H. Schaefer
%T History of the MPP
%E J. L. Potter
%B The Massively Parallel Processor
%I MIT Press
%C Cambridge, MA
%D 1985
%P 1-5

%A Richard A. White
%T Inversion of Positive Definite Matrices on the MPP
%E J. L. Potter
%B The Massively Parallel Processor
%I MIT Press
%C Cambridge, MA
%D 1985
%P 7-30
%K Applications,
%X Takes two simple algorithms for inversion and gets multiplication,
transposition, and determinants along the way.

%A Richard A. White
%T Data Structures for Implementing the CLASSY Algorithm on the MPP
%E J. L. Potter
%B The Massively Parallel Processor
%I MIT Press
%C Cambridge, MA
%D 1985
%P 31-61
%K Applications, adaptive maximum likelihood clustering, statistics,

%A Rudolf O. Faiss
%T Landsat-4 Thematic Mapper Data Processing with the Massive Parallel
Processor
%E J. L. Potter
%B The Massively Parallel Processor
%I MIT Press
%C Cambridge, MA
%D 1985
%P 62-84
%K MPP, Applications,

%A E. J. Gallopoulos
%T Fluid Dynamics Modeling
%E J. L. Potter
%B The Massively Parallel Processor
%I MIT Press
%C Cambridge, MA
%D 1985
%P 85-103
%K MPP, Applications,

%A Edward W. Davis
%T Database Management
%E J. L. Potter
%B The Massively Parallel Processor
%I MIT Press
%C Cambridge, MA
%D 1985
%P 104-123
%K MPP, Applications, update, join,

%A Jerry L. Potter
%T List Based Processing on the MPP
%E J. L. Potter
%B The Massively Parallel Processor
%I MIT Press
%C Cambridge, MA
%D 1985
%P 124-140
%K Applications, CDAR coding,
%X This is not a paper on MPP based LISP.  It talks about implementing LISP
ideas on an MPP architecture.

%A Kenneth E. Batcher
%T The Massively Parallel Processor System Overview
%E J. L. Potter
%B The Massively Parallel Processor
%I MIT Press
%C Cambridge, MA
%D 1985
%P 142-149
%K MPP, Hardware,

%A Kenneth E. Batcher
%T Array Unit
%E J. L. Potter
%B The Massively Parallel Processor
%I MIT Press
%C Cambridge, MA
%D 1985
%P 150-169
%K MPP, Hardware,

%A Kenneth E. Batcher
%T Array Control Unit
%E J. L. Potter
%B The Massively Parallel Processor
%I MIT Press
%C Cambridge, MA
%D 1985
%P 170-190
%K MPP, Hardware,

%A Kenneth E. Batcher
%T Staging Memory
%E J. L. Potter
%B The Massively Parallel Processor
%I MIT Press
%C Cambridge, MA
%D 1985
%P 191-204
%K MPP, Hardware,

%A John T. Burkley
%T MPP VLSI Multiprocessor Integrated Circuit Design
%E J. L. Potter
%B The Massively Parallel Processor
%I MIT Press
%C Cambridge, MA
%D 1985
%P 205-216
%K Hardware, HCMOS,

%A J. L. Potter
%T Programming the MPP
%E J. L. Potter
%B The Massively Parallel Processor
%I MIT Press
%C Cambridge, MA
%D 1985
%P 218-229
%K Software, parallel Pascal, loops, control constructs, SIMD control,

%A Anthony P. Reeves
%T Parallel Pascal and the Massive Parallel Processor
%E J. L. Potter
%B The Massively Parallel Processor
%I MIT Press
%C Cambridge, MA
%D 1985
%P 230-260
%K Software, SIMD control, bit-slice programming,

%A Kenneth E. Batcher
%T MPP System Software
%E J. L. Potter
%B The Massively Parallel Processor
%I MIT Press
%C Cambridge, MA
%D 1985
%P 261-275
%K Software, SIMD control, bit-slice programming, MPP assembler,

%A E. J. Gallopoulos
%A Scott D. McEwan
%A Daniel L. Slotnick
%A Andrew J. Spry
%A Daniel J. Kopetzky
%T MPP Program Development and Simulation
%E J. L. Potter
%B The Massively Parallel Processor
%I MIT Press
%C Cambridge, MA
%D 1985
%P 276-290
%K Software, SIMD control, bit-slice programming, MPP assembler,

%A James R. Fischer
%T Epilogue
%E J. L. Potter
%B The Massively Parallel Processor
%I MIT Press
%C Cambridge, MA
%D 1985
%P 291-295
%K MPP,

Too much duplication of effort in comp.arch.  Send mail.

From the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@ames-aurora.ARPA
  "Send mail, avoid follow-ups.  If enough, I'll summarize."
  {hplabs,hao,ihnp4,decwrl,allegra,tektronix}!ames!aurora!eugene
	Celebrities don't post to comp.arch, they are too busy working.

mrc@CAM.UNISYS.COM.UUCP (11/19/87)

In article <36800003@iuvax> tbridg@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu writes:
>Reference for the MPP:
>	GER-17272 (A Goodyear Tech Report) has been included as a
>	chapter in:
>		The Book of Supercomputers
>		Edited by S. Fernbach
>		North-Holland Publishing Company

I haven't seen the book either, but ANYthing by Sidfern Bach has GOT to be
worthwhile.

Definitely gonna get meself a copy.

Regardz,
Ken