[comp.arch] Runtime checks

andy@rocky.UUCP (11/20/87)

In article <6743@apple.UUCP>, bcase@apple.UUCP (Brian Case) writes:
> I am not trying to pigeon-hole people or sound negative in any
> way, but in general, I find that Europeans tend to have a real sympathy
> for run-time checking.  I can't name one American, off the top of my
> head, to whom I would attribute the same concern.  At least the concern
> would not, to me, be the distinguishing feature that, to me, it so often
> is in Europeans.

Lisp machines (MIT style, as in Symbolics and LMI, and I think Xerox
D-machines as well) all have run-time checking for things like integer
overflow, can a specific pointer operation be performed with a given
value, etc.  As Tom Knight (Symbolics and MIT in the CADR days) says:

"The addition of small amounts of special purpose hardware to conventional
machines increases the efficiency of Lisp systems with dynamic type checks."

I think SPARC has some support for tags.  Patterson has mentioned
similar things, but I don't remember whether they made it into
RISC-II.

Didn't Burroughs use hardware for tag checking too?

-andy
--
Andy Freeman
UUCP:  {arpa gateways, decwrl, sun, hplabs, rutgers}!sushi.stanford.edu!andy