[comp.arch] Fairchild Clipper performance?

callen@ada-uts (11/12/87)

Is anyone aware of any Unix systems based upon the Fairchild Clipper
ship set? I got the data sheets on this set (well, board) maybe a year
agao and it looked like a nice clean architecture. I am curious how
its performance might stack up to, say, the AMD29000 or MIPS machines.

-- Jerry Callen        ...{ima,ihnp4,harvard}!inmet!ada-uts!callen

bcase@apple.UUCP (Brian Case) (11/16/87)

In article <56700004@ada-uts> callen@ada-uts writes:
>Is anyone aware of any Unix systems based upon the Fairchild Clipper
>ship set? I got the data sheets on this set (well, board) maybe a year
>agao and it looked like a nice clean architecture. I am curious how
>its performance might stack up to, say, the AMD29000 or MIPS machines.

How fortuitous.  I was just comtemplating generating a posting (read:
flame) about an Electronics article about the Clipper.  So now I get
to bundle info with flame.

The intergraph C32 personal computer/workstation is based on the Clipper.
I hear it isn't so bad, but the performance isn't much greater than a
25 MHz 68020 based machine (I heard this from someone developing compilers
for it.  SPEA, a West German company, is apparently making IBM PC plug-in
cards based on the Clipper.  The CEO of SPEA claims (according to
Electronics):  "A 33-MHz Clipper-100, Seng says, runs six times faster
than a 20-MHz Intel 80386."  [I'm sorry, I just can't believe this.]

Now the flame.  Read in last week's Electronics Magazine an article
about the new clipper which will run at an amazing (I say that sincerely)
50 MHz clock rate.  At 50 MHz, I personally would expect much more than
what they can deliver, but let's face it, they win hands down in the
catagory of exploiting old technology (the 33 MHz version was implemented
in 2.0 micron CMOS, the 50 MHz is probably in 1.5 or so).

My beef is with the bar-chart showing what speed memory is needed to
achieve claimed performance.  They try to show that the Clipper has the
upper hand because it requires only regular DRAM -- no cache.  However,
they go a little to far when they claim the the Am29000 requires 3 ns,
yes three nano seconds, static RAM.

I know that for single-bus-cycle memory accesses, fast access times are
required, but the actual access time is more like 14 ns (admittedly, this
is still quite fast).  BUT, even the performance claims with caches were
only talking about 2 cycle caches, which leaves quite a comfortable
margin for implementation.  And VDRAMs are hardly required in 3 ns speed
grades.

What burns me here is not so much the specific attack on my own work, but
the fact that these STUPID INDUSTRY MAGAZINES WILL PRINT, HAPPILY, SUCH
UNMITTIGATED BULL PUCKY!!  THEY EVEN SEEM TO TAKE DELIGHT IN THIS STUPIDITY.
I have seen it happen again and again.  I mean, get this quote from the
second paragraph of the article:  "However, the latest 32-bit contenders
are closing in on Clipper."  Er, I thought it was the other way around,
that is, the latest Clipper might be closing in on the other guys.

I have seen these damnable publications make errors on our stuff too,
both making it sound better than it is and worse than it is.  Once you
know what is really going on, you see how bad these jerks really are.
Often, their words are no better than noise!

Isn't there something we can do?!?!  Should we all write letters to these
editors?  Should someone start a publication that actually has some
technical accuracy?  I am getting so fed up with this situation that I
really believe there is room for a new trade magazine.  I still remember
the time I tried to get some RISC references printed along with an
article in Computer Design (one of the WORST magazines):  "I'm sorry,
references are usually reserved for scholaraly journals.  We're not
like that."  Well, that's for damned sure.  We wouldn't want to actually
educate or otherwise help our engineers, now would we.

I know John Mashey has taken the initiative a few times.  John, what do
you have to say abou this situation?  One possible comment is that this
discussion doesn't belong in this newsgroup, so suggestions for other
homes will be gladly accepted.

mash@mips.UUCP (John Mashey) (11/16/87)

In article <56700004@ada-uts> callen@ada-uts writes:

>Is anyone aware of any Unix systems based upon the Fairchild Clipper
>ship set? I got the data sheets on this set (well, board) maybe a year
>agao and it looked like a nice clean architecture. I am curious how
>its performance might stack up to, say, the AMD29000 or MIPS machines.

we don't have many benchmarks in common, but (excerpts from MIPS Perf Brief):

Dhrystone:
Dhyrs	Rel	System
 1757	1.0	11/780, VAX/VMS
 8309	4.7	30MHz Clipper, InterGraph InterPro 32C, GreenHills
13000	7.4	MIPS M/500, 8MHz, -O3
23700	13.5	MIPS M/1000, 15MHz

LINPACK: FORTRAN DP & SP MegaFlops & Rel:
FORT		FORT		System
DP	Rel.	SP	Rel.
 .14	1	.25	1	11/780, VMS
 .29	2.0	.45	1.8	30MHz Clipper, as above (Opus slightly faster)
 .60	4.3	.93	3.7	M/500
1.2	8.6	2.3	9.2	M/1000

Doduc (Monte Carlo simulation, heavy FP, relative performance):
 1.0	11/780, VMS
 1.3	30MHz CLipper, as above
 3.8	M/500
 8.8	M/1000

Whetstones, DP & SP, relative perf:
DP		SP		System
Kwhets	Rel	Kwhets	Rel
 830	1.0	 1250	1.0	11/780, VMS
1740	2.1	 2980	2.4	30MHz Clipper, as above
4220	5.1	 5430	4.3	M/500
7960	9.6	10280	8.2	M/1000

Of course, some of these numbers may be old, and you should always
take what one vendor says about another with a grain of salt.
We did have some Byte benchmark nubmers also, but I know they're old,
and the Clipper kernel numbers were so low (about 1.5X VAX performance)
that I have to believe the kernel was unoptimized, or something).
Also, I assume the newer parts run 1.1X faster (33MHz).

**OPINION** From the limited data that we have, and comparing it with
other machines (like Sun-3/200s, VAX 8600s, if we were selling it,
and had to put 1 single number on it, we'd call it a 3 or 3.5 vax-mips system
(the integer performance may be 3-4X overall, but the FP is 2-3, and the kernel
performance is probably lower (due to small caches)).
If somebody has recent benchmarks, we'd love to see them.
UUCP: 	{ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!mash  OR  mash@mips.com
DDD:  	408-991-0253 or 408-720-1700, x253

mash@mips.UUCP (11/17/87)

In article <6745@apple.UUCP> bcase@apple.UUCP (Brian Case) writes:
...complaints on awful magazine practice....
>Isn't there something we can do?!?!  Should we all write letters to these
>editors?  Should someone start a publication that actually has some
>technical accuracy?  I am getting so fed up with this situation that I
>really believe there is room for a new trade magazine.....

>I know John Mashey has taken the initiative a few times.  John, what do
>you have to say abou this situation?  ....

0) At the rate of speed this business moves, writers and editors
are hard-pressed to keep up, even when they try very hard.
I have some sympathy for them, as they are beset by tons of information
and argumentative folks. [Quick: explain why RISCs are good, but every
RISC vendor has a different view of why theirs is better, and why
Moto thinks both RISCs and CISCs are good!  Sort that out in 2 columns..]
This is why you see "vendor claims ....N mips"...: how does a harried
writer know one way or the other?

1) Some try hard, some don't.  Some will print almost anything,
even gushing about performance leaps on products that aren't yet built,
and without even a SINGLE actual benchmark number [the cited Electronics
article was like this; however, I've seen other articles there that
were the same, so it's not unusual.]
Since many of the trade rags are controlled circulation, you
can't usefully threaten to cancel your subscription!

2) About all you can do are the following:
	a) Write articles that are reasoned, and send them to magazines.
	Sometimes they might get accepted and run.
	b) Write non-flaming, well-reasoned letters-to-the-editor
	citing inaccuracies, or noting the lack-of-substance in an article.

3) I've written a lot of letters-to-editors.  About 1 in 10 gets printed.
However, I often get reasonable phone calls from writers / editors looking
for more information, or thanking me for the letter, so I can't
complain.

4) Regarding performance claims, perhaps letters can encourage magazines
to at least follow a few simple rules and answer a few questions:
	a) Give me some real benchmark numbers, not just mips & mflops.
	Especially, don't tell me that it's 20X a VAX (on some Dhrystone),
	give me the Dhrystone numbers (usual caveats: substitute other
	benchmarks; opinions on Dhrystone well-known).
	b) Is this on a real system? Can we buy this system now?
	How much does it cost?
	c) If it's not on a real system, is it a careful simulation, or
	a guess?  If it's a simulation, give me the parameters, like what
	kind of memory system, etc.
	d) If it's not available now, when will it be available?
	e) Always be skeptical about what one vendor says about another,
	especially with little or no backup data.

5) In general, it is hopeless to improve some of the rags, which are
little above the National Enquirer.  Some of the magazines try very hard,
even to having their own benchmark suites which they want to watch
running on a real machine.

doug@edge.UUCP (11/19/87)

>0) At the rate of speed this business moves, writers and editors
>are hard-pressed to keep up, even when they try very hard.

More correctly, that should read, "At the rate of speed this business
produces new product announcements and other marketing hype..."

>4) Regarding performance claims, perhaps letters can encourage magazines
>to at least follow a few simple rules and answer a few questions:

Not likely.  With only a few exceptions, magazines are simply a promotional
tool.  (This is true of most fields, not just computers).  It is usually
against editorial policy to publish any unfavorable information about any
company/product which is, or could become, a subscriber.

Any magazine which is provided "free to qualified subscribers" is going to
be a "puff piece publisher".  Don't expect otherwise.
--
Doug Pardee -- Edge Computer Corp., Scottsdale, AZ -- ihnp4!oliveb!edge!doug

einstein@bucsb.UUCP (11/23/87)

>Doug Pardee -- Edge Computer Corp., Scottsdale, AZ -- ihnp4!oliveb!edge!dou
>Not likely.  With only a few exceptions, magazines are simply a promotional
>tool.  (This is true of most fields, not just computers).  It is usually
>against editorial policy to publish any unfavorable information about any
>company/product which is, or could become, a subscriber.
>
>Any magazine which is provided "free to qualified subscribers" is going to
>be a "puff piece publisher".  Don't expect otherwise.

Doug you almost get a cigar with this one, but I disagree...

The basis of controlled - circulation (meaning give it away if they've
got anything to do with it) is based on one of the following:

(1) Its an enhanced mailing list; with the advertisers sharing costs
some magazines have their editorial written by their advertisers.

(2) Its an easy way of getting wide coverage for your advertisers.

(3) Paid - Subscription usually gets much smaller circulation and costs
a lot more to get !!!

Puff-piece... yeah... why not "you get what you pay for" on  the other
hand I don't think that its so much "editorial policy" as the bigwigs
(read: advertising sellers) which keep the company in bread and butter
don't want you cutting down their clients on page 1...  Look what
happened with Digital Review.  DR published some "leaked information"
and was banned from: (1) DEC press conf. (2) all other outlets of
DEC - controlled information (3) No DEC advertising.  What are you
going to do when the companies you're writing about are your sole
source of income?  Besides there are no magazines that survive based
on subscription income.  Only newsletters get away with that and
the really profitable ones charge over $100/year.

It is possible to become a successful "controlled -circ " its just
that nobody is going to help you out.

david

David K. Fickes     Center for Einstein Studies/Einstein Papers Project
UUCP: ...harvard!bu-cs!bucsb!einstein		Boston University
BITNET: oth932@bostonu				745 Commonwealth Avenue
PHONE:	(617) 353-9249	(617) 277-9741		Boston, MA 02215

mash@mips.UUCP (John Mashey) (11/24/87)

In article <1276@bucsb.UUCP> einstein@bucsb.UUCP (David K. Fickes) writes:
>don't want you cutting down their clients on page 1...  Look what
>happened with Digital Review.  DR published some "leaked information"
>and was banned from: (1) DEC press conf. (2) all other outlets of
>DEC - controlled information (3) No DEC advertising....

Actually, it turns out that DR got "reinstated" pretty quickly: too many
DEC product managers complained up the line that DR was an important
channel for them. [source: DR people]

Maybe this does show it's possible, anyway.  There certainly is a fairly
symbiotic, often love-hate relationship amongst vendors and trade press.