[comp.arch] Historical correction

esf00@amdahl.amdahl.com (Elliott S. Frank) (11/23/87)

In article <3801@ptsfa.UUCP> dmt@ptsfa.UUCP (Dave Turner) writes:

>>In article <988@edge.UUCP> doug@edge.UUCP (Doug Pardee) writes:
>>>OS/MFT became (was the basis for) OS/VS1.  OS/MVT was the basis for OS/VS2.
>>>Release 2 of OS/VS2 was the first MVS.  Inevitably, OS/VS2 Release 1 became
>>>known to history as SVS.
>
>I thought that OS/VS1 was called SVS.

Some taxonomy:

OS/PCP (Primary Control Program == real memory single task OS/360) -->
        evolutionary dead end

OS/MFT (Multiprogramming with a Fixed number of Tasks == real memory
        operating system assigning a memory partition for each "job step"
        task)  -->
        OS/VS/1 [24-bit fixed partition operating system] -->
                evolutionary dead end

OS/MVT (Multiprogramming with a Variable number of Tasks == real memory
        operating system assigning necessary memory for each "job step"
        task) -->
        OS/VS/2 [24-bit dynamic partitioned operating system]

        OS/VS/2 Release 1 == SVS (Single Virtual System == 24-bit virtual
                address space dynamically partitioned among active
                "job step" tasks)

        OS/VS/2 Release 2 == MVS (Multiple Virtual Spaces == created
                24-bit address space for each "job step" task)

And what is a "job step" task?  Ah, ...     :-)
--
Elliott Frank      ...!{hplabs,ames,sun}!amdahl!esf00     (408) 746-6384
               or ....!{bnrmtv,drivax,hoptoad}!amdahl!esf00

[the above opinions are strictly mine, if anyone's.]
[the above signature may or may not be repeated, depending upon some
inscrutable property of the mailer-of-the-week.]

dmt@ptsfa.UUCP (Dave Turner) (11/24/87)

In article <18624@amdahl.amdahl.com> esf00@amdahl.amdahl.com (Elliott S. Frank) writes:

>>I thought that OS/VS1 was called SVS.
>>
>        OS/VS/2 Release 1 == SVS (Single Virtual System == 24-bit virtual
>
>        OS/VS/2 Release 2 == MVS (Multiple Virtual Spaces == created

Thank you for clearing up my memory.

But my point was that initially IBM did not sanction the use of MVS and SVS
for the releases 2 and 1 of OS/VS2. It was over a year after I saw references
to MVS and SVS in magazines before IBM finally accepted them.

--
Dave Turner	415/542-1299	{ihnp4,lll-crg,qantel,pyramid}!ptsfa!dmt