[comp.arch] *-VME bus repeaters

schultz@mmm.UUCP (John C Schultz) (11/26/87)

I have several requests for info on *-VME bus repeaters of late and will pass
along what little information I have.  Be aware that I am only in the process
of specifying one, I have no first hand experience.

There seems to be 2 major players in the something to VME or VME to something
bus converter arena.

The first (in no particular order) is Bit 3 based in MN.

The second is Performance Technologies based in ???.

They both appear to have A24:D16 products currently available with at lesat
BIT 3 having a A32:D32 product in the first half of 1988.

I "heard" that Performance Technologies' product had some problems but that
the newer boards have been fixed.

As far as I can determine these are all simple drop in and it works pieces
of hardware.

Bit 3 does make a PC-AT to VME and a Multibus (I I assume) to VME converter
which would be an advantage if you need to talk to several buses.

One interesting item that was not clear in Bit 3's literature was whether
all levels of VME bus interrupt were supported.

The Bit 3 product logically separates the bus so that multi-master systems
can happily proceed independently.  This is very nice in many cases such as
hanging lots of hardware off a SUN.

Hope these ramblings are of some help

John C. Schultz

{ihnp4, rutgers, umn-cs, tundra}|mmm|schultz

dje@datacube.UUCP (11/29/87)

We use  VME Bus  repeaters often.   We  started with  the PT-901 (A24
D16).  Then we switched to the PT-902 (A32 D32).  Then we switched to
the Hal Versa repeater.  The cabling  of the  PT-902 did  not work in
our system.  It uses round cable, about 0.5" in diameter  and large D
connectors.  These did  not fit  in our  box or  in the  Sun-3 at the
other end.  While we (and P-T)  were busy  redesigning complex cables
to fit both ends, the Hal-Versa unit came out and  solved the problem
for  us.    They  use  special controlled-impedance  flat cables with
standard ribbon headers on the  ends.   The Hal-Versa  also has about
1/3 the number of chips and is therefore cheaper than the PT-902.

They all work fine though.

 				Dave Erickson
  ------      Datacube Inc.
 /    /|      4 Dearborn Rd.
------ |      Peabody, Ma 01960
------        Fax:  (617)535-5643

allan@didsgn.UUCP (allan) (11/30/87)

In article <1524@mmm.UUCP>, schultz@mmm.UUCP (John C Schultz) writes:
> I have several requests for info on *-VME bus repeaters of late and will pass
> along what little information I have.

HVE Engineering makes various bus-to-bus adaptors including a VME-to-VME
bus repeater. This system seems to work quite well and supports interrupts
across buses. The bus adaptors include most (if not all) combinations of
Multi-bus/VERSAbus/VMEbus mixtures. For more information, contact HVE at
(408) 370-4666.

> Hope these ramblings are of some help

Allan G. Schrum
..!gatech!rebel!didsgn!allan
Digital Design, Inc.

michael@mcdchg.UUCP (Michael Bodine) (11/30/87)

John C Schultz (schultz@mmm.UUCP) writes:
> I have several requests for info on *-VME bus repeaters of late and will pass
> along what little information I have.  Be aware that I am only in the process
> of specifying one, I have no first hand experience.

Another long-existing player making this type of product is
Hal-Versa Engineering (HVE)
1684 Dell Ave.
Campbell, Ca 95008
(408) 370-4666
(800) TRANSL8

They make a wide variety of VME-to-X backplane connections, and many have
reported successful use of same, though my own experience is only through
hearsay.  Also note that the most current issue of the VMEbus Compatible
Products Directory from VITA (10229 N. Scottsdale Rd, Scottsdale, Az 85253,
(602) 951-8866) includes 8 manufacturers of VME-VME connectors and a total of
27 manufacturers of VME-X connectors, where X includes Multibus, DEC busses,
STD, PC, Versabus, GPIB and others.

Also, FYI, PT is based in East Rochester, NY -- VITA directory listings include
product listings, addresses, phones, marketing contacts, etc.

Standard disclaimer.

berger@datacube.UUCP (12/02/87)

We have had some very good luck with the HVE-2000. This is a true
A32/D32 bus extender.  The Performance Tech 902A also works very well.

They are both higher performance than the Bit 3 since they both support
A32/D32 and the Bit 3 is only A24/D16.

The HVE-2000 is literally twice as fast as the PT-902A in terms
of data transfers. The main drawback is that you must use special
cables supplied by HVE. These cables must be continuous between
the two ends, you can not have intermediate bulkhead connectors.

The PT-902A is half the speed of the HVE because it actually
recreates the VME bus Master and must reclock all the signals adding
a significant prop delay. This has one advantage in that you can
electronically decouple crates. Also the PT-902A uses 4 50pin normal
ribbon cables so cabling is a bit easier.

				Bob Berger

Datacube Inc. Systems / Software Group	4 Dearborn Rd. Peabody, Ma 01960
VOICE:	617-535-6644;	FAX: (617) 535-5643;  TWX: (710) 347-0125
UUCP:	berger@datacube.COM,  rutgers!datacube!berger, ihnp4!datacube!berger
	{cbosgd,cuae2,mit-eddie}!mirror!datacube!berger