[comp.arch] Simple query

eugene@pioneer.arpa (Eugene Miya N.) (12/12/87)

We have kilo, mega, giga, tera, and I note some inconsistency
with giga.  What shall we use after Tera?  Too many people talking about
Teraflops machines and the Teraflops club.  I'm starting to get tired of
hearing pico lately as well (but this and femto are used more
consistently).

From the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@ames-aurora.ARPA
  "Send mail, avoid follow-ups.  If enough, I'll summarize."
  {uunet,hplabs,hao,ihnp4,decwrl,allegra,tektronix}!ames!aurora!eugene

littauer@amdahl.amdahl.com (Tom Littauer) (12/12/87)

In article <3633@ames.arpa> eugene@pioneer.UUCP (Eugene Miya N.) writes:
>We have kilo, mega, giga, tera, and I note some inconsistency
>with giga.  What shall we use after Tera?

One of our developers (coz, you read this group?) had to look into this
recently. He came up with "tera" followed by "pera" followed by "exa".
Alas, I have no direct reference to cite; if needed I could probably
chase it down.

This is *NOT* an announcement.

Tom
--
UUCP:  littauer@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,ames,uunet,cbosgd}!amdahl!littauer

I'll tell you when I'm giving you the party line. The rest of the time
it's my very own ravings (accept no substitutes).

hunt@spar.SPAR.SLB.COM (Neil Hunt) (12/12/87)

In article <3633@ames.arpa> eugene@pioneer.UUCP (Eugene Miya N.) writes:
>We have kilo, mega, giga, tera, and I note some inconsistency
>with giga.  What shall we use after Tera?

Perhaps we need some terms with more mnemonic significance
and less sharply defined mathematical significance. Here are
a few suggestions:

	Biga (pronounced `bee-ja, as in `jee-ga, for the soft-G fanatics)
	Mora
	Larga
	Betta
	Higha
	Fasta
	Hotta

as in:

  ``My machine has 1.4e5 betta more neuristors than yours, and it
  will do 3 Moralips (logical inferences per second). Of course
  if you insist on using it for floating point, it will only
  do about 7 Cray Bigaflops, or 52 XMP Bettaflops.''

  ``But my processor is built from the new Highachip technology, with
  liquidified room temperature superconductors to avoid dissipating
  the 4 Hotta joules which your system contributes to the melting
  of the polar icecap.

			(-:		:-)

Neil/.

dmt@ptsfa.UUCP (Dave Turner) (12/12/87)

In article <3633@ames.arpa> eugene@pioneer.UUCP (Eugene Miya N.) writes:
>We have kilo, mega, giga, tera, and I note some inconsistency
>with giga.  What shall we use after Tera?  Too many people talking about

SI (Systeme International d'Unites) which gave use the prefixes has prefixes
that run from 10^18 to 10^-18:

	10^18	exa
	10^15	peta
	10^12	tera
	10^-12	pico
	10^-15	femto
	10^-18	atto

Since SI forbids compound prefixes (remember micromicrofarads? now pico)
they'll have to invent some new ones sooner or later.

--
Dave Turner	415/542-1299	{ihnp4,lll-crg,qantel,pyramid}!ptsfa!dmt

kludge@pyr.gatech.EDU (Scott Dorsey) (12/12/87)

In article <3633@ames.arpa> eugene@pioneer.UUCP (Eugene Miya N.) writes:
>We have kilo, mega, giga, tera, and I note some inconsistency
>with giga.  What shall we use after Tera?  Too many people talking about
>Teraflops machines and the Teraflops club.  I'm starting to get tired of
>hearing pico lately as well (but this and femto are used more
>consistently).

   The CRC Standard Math Tables (27th Edition) says:
     Giga:  10^12
     Pecta: 10^15
     Exa:   10^18

  in the list of Recommended Decimal Multiples and Submutiples for SI
Units.  I don't know just how strong the recommendation is, but as you
have noted with Giga, it isn't as strong as it should be.

--
Scott Dorsey   Kaptain_Kludge
SnailMail: ICS Programming Lab, Georgia Tech, Box 36681, Atlanta, Georgia 30332

ruffwork@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU (Ritchey Ruff) (12/12/87)

Actuall, instead of "exa" for a prefix for 10^18 I've always
thought it should be "saga" (because 10^18 is two 10^9's; and
10^9 is a billion, so 10^18 is billions of billions ;-);-);-).

--ritchey	ruffwork%oregon-state@relay.cs.net -or-
		ruffwork@CS.ORST.EDU		   -or-
		{ hp-pcd | tektronix }!orstcs!ruffwork