[comp.arch] Zilog Z320 32-bit chip

wcs@ho95e.ATT.COM (Bill.Stewart) (12/04/87)

The Nov. 26 issue of Electronics has a short blurb on the Z320.  Price is in
the $30-50 range, speed "5-10 MIPS" at 8 or 10 MHz, available 1H88.
It's got on-chip cache (??how big??) and MMU.

Does anybody know more about this chip?  It seems like it would be a good
candidate for building I/O cards.  Does it have enough capability to build
workstations, or multi-user machines?
--
#				Thanks;
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G218, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs

Walt_Hank_Henry@cup.portal.com (12/07/87)

The Z320 has a 256 byte cache. What else would you like to know?

Before you pin too many hopes on the Z320, check out the history of the
Z80000 (four zeros, not three).  Talk about vaporware...
--
Those who do not understand Unix are |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
condemned to reinvent it, poorly.    | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry

lamaster@ames.arpa (Hugh LaMaster) (12/10/87)

I never did hear exactly what happened with the Z80000, but it sounded nice- two level
page table, bytes in the correct order, ...

firth@sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth) (12/11/87)

In article <9071@utzoo.UUCP> henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
>Before you pin too many hopes on the Z320, check out the history of the
>Z80000 (four zeros, not three).  Talk about vaporware...

"Z80,000 CPU  Preliminary Technical Manual", and the text uniformly
has that comma in the name.  My copy is dated September 1984, one
of the very few that escaped.  It looked pretty good at the time,
apart from the Z8000 upward compatibility features.

lindsay@K.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (Donald Lindsay) (12/11/87)

My filing system shows that the the Z80,000 was already late in 1984;
going to show up in 1985; going to show up in 1986; then silence.

I don't miss it. It had addressing models. Maybe my curse worked...
--
	Don		lindsay@k.gp.cs.cmu.edu    CMU Computer Science

pf@diab.UUCP (Per Fogelstrom) (12/12/87)

The Z80,000 was put on market just about 8 months ago. It newer reached the
target specification (e.g. clock speed) and the performence was not impressive.
It has some nice things, but as someone pointed out, to late ..........

tve@alice.UUCP (12/16/87)

In article <345@ma.diab.UUCP>, pf@diab.UUCP writes:
> The Z80,000 was put on market just about 8 months ago.

Is the Z80,000 really *available* ??? Please post some info such as price,
clock speed, cache sizes, benchmarks, etc...
		Thanks!

- Thorsten von Eicken, tve@research.uucp -or- ...!research!tve