[comp.arch] MIPS and LIPS

reiter@endor.harvard.edu (Ehud Reiter) (12/18/87)

I recently saw a videotape made by a VP at Apollo (I forget his name), who
talked not only about "MIPS" and "MFLOPS", but also about "LIPS".
According to a slide he put up, a "LIP" is a "Logical Inference Per
Second" and is measured by the "Gabriel Benchamrk".

Now, the only way I've previously heard "LIPS" used is as a measure of how
many unifications per second a PROLOG system can do.  The Gabriel benchmark
suite, of course, measures LISP performance.  Also, the Gabriel suite produces
around 20-30 numbers, and Gabriel (in his book) very explicitly states that
these numbers are not to be averaged or otherwise combined into one summary
statistic.

So, the Apollo VP (and he was a technical guy, not a marketing person)
used a very misleading PROLOG term to characterize an summary statistic of
LISP programs, and a summary statistic which was forbidden by the author of
the benchmark suite he claimed to use.

By comparison, the MIPS debate is a fountain of clarity ...

					Ehud Reiter
					reiter@harvard	(ARPA,BITNET,UUCP)
					reiter@harvard.harvard.EDU  (new ARPA)

mash@mips.UUCP (John Mashey) (12/18/87)

In article <3587@husc6.harvard.edu> reiter@harvard.UUCP (Ehud Reiter) writes:
>I recently saw a videotape made by a VP at Apollo (I forget his name), who
>talked not only about "MIPS" and "MFLOPS", but also about "LIPS"....
>used a very misleading PROLOG term to characterize an summary statistic of
>LISP programs, and a summary statistic which was forbidden by the author of
>the benchmark suite he claimed to use.

>By comparison, the MIPS debate is a fountain of clarity ...

Consider how heavily LINPACK MFLOPS get used, noting that Dongarra's
LINPACK report says:
``The timing information presented here should in no way be used to judge
the overall performance of a computer system.
The results reflect only one problem area: solving dense systems of
equations using the Linpack [1] programs in a Fortran environment.''

Well, 1 out of 3 isn't bad, I guess [if that were true...sigh].
UUCP: 	{ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!mash  OR  mash@mips.com
DDD:  	408-991-0253 or 408-720-1700, x253