[comp.arch] DEC Performance Methodology

mash@mips.UUCP (John Mashey) (12/22/87)

In article <28200078@ccvaxa> aglew@ccvaxa.UUCP writes:

>John Mashey mentioned "understanding DEC's performance methodology"
>in one of his recent postings. Can anyone explain DEC's performance
>methodology to me, or give me references? I'm still new at this
>sort of thing.

Maybe someone from DEC will post something.  I have no idea how they
arrive at the numbers that end up appearing in the glossies.  However,
I have seen several publications that offer some ideas:

[1] Don McInnis, Bob Kusik, Dileep Bhandarkar, "VAX 8800 System
Overview", IEEE CH2409-01/87 [which must be Proc. Symp. on Computer
Architecture, I think], 316-321.

[2] DEC Workstation Marketing, "VAXstation 3200 Performance Analysis",
Sept 9, 1987.

In [1], the 8700/8800 implementation si described.  There is a short
performance section, which gives some benchmark results, and also
characterizes an 8700 versus an 11/780, with a chart as follows:

NUMBER OF BENCHMARKS = 99
MINIMUM = 2.91
MAXIMUM = 7.70
MEAN = 5.01
GEOMETRIC MEAN = 4.92
HARMONIC MEAN = 4.84
(more statistical data)

3.0 - 3.4   4.0 % FFFD
3.4 - 3.8   6.1 % FFFFFF
3.8 - 4.2   7.1 % IFFFFDL
4.2 - 4.6  19.2 % IIFFFFFFFFFDDDDDDLL
4.6 - 5.0  11.1 % CIIIFFLLLLL
5.0 - 5.4  15.2 % FFFFDDDDDDLLLL
5.4 - 5.8  23.2 % CIFFFDDDDDDDDDDDLLLLLL
5.8 - 6.2   6.1 % CCFDLL
6.2 - 6.6   3.0 % DDL
6.6 - 7.0   2.0 % DD
7.0 - 7.4   3.0 % DLL

Legend:	I	Fortran Integer
	F	SP Floating Point
	D	DP FLoating Point
	L	LISP (Integer and Real)
	C	COBOL

Additional specific benchmark numbers are given, including oens that show the
influence of program size on performance (Jacobi, Linpack, Matrices),
VAX 8800 multi-stream thruput relative to single-cpu, etc.

I'd like more info than what is in the paper, however, the presentation
has some useful points:

1) It is clear that the performance ratio versus a 780 is not a single
number for all benchmarks.

2) You can get some idea of the spread for different kinds of benchmarks.
(I could wish for C benchmarks as well.  I suspect they'd run a little
higher, but that's just a guess.) It is interesting to see that the 8700
is much better on DP floating-point than on SP, relative to the 780.

3) The geometric mean is included, indicating that the people involved
seem to understand why that's relevant.

4) It's not at all clear how the final "11/780 rating" is obtained,
i.e., the official number may be computed from some other set of
benchmarks, and these are just offered as backup material,
or it may be viewed that some subset of this set is the official set,
or, perhaps someone picks the numbers out of there.
However, it is useful to note that the "5-6"X rating usually ascribed
to the 8700 is at least possible, and they certainly do not call
it 7.4X.

Item [2] is a competitive analysis of the VS3200 with
Sun-3/260, Sun-4/260, and Apollo DN4000.  A lot of data is presented,
using histograms logically similar to that above.
Cost/performance numbers are also computed [you can guess who wins].
Often, 40-60 data points are shown for each system,
including Sun-3/260s with/without FPA (the distribution shift is rather
dramatic).  The benchmarks included a bunch of ECAD, MCAD, Earth
Resources, and other real applications.  Unfortunately, they
didn't get every benchmark for every machine [which is very hard for
61 benchmarks, they clearly were trying pretty hard.]
This is a slight flaw, as it is quite possible for missing datapoints
to skew the results, i.e., if you happen to have a bunch of
benchmarks for one machine that happen to be "easy" ones,
but those are missing from the others.  (I don't believe this happened
here, but it can be a worry).

Anyway, again, I don't know exactly what they dp, but as shown in
such publications, DEC ratings include large nubmres of benchmarks,
and they include floating point.
UUCP: 	{ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!mash  OR  mash@mips.com
DDD:  	408-991-0253 or 408-720-1700, x253