[comp.arch] multi-tasking is alive and well

mash@mips.UUCP (John Mashey) (12/07/87)

In article <2326@killer.UUCP> elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) writes:
>In article <1006@winchester.UUCP> mash@winchester.UUCP (John Mashey) writes:
>>In article <2581@mmintl.UUCP> franka@mmintl.UUCP (Frank Adams) writes:
>>>Another trend which might doom the idea is that towards individual
>>>(single-user) computers.  The future of multi-tasking on such machines is
>>>very much in question; if it becomes a big thing, there is no problem.

(me):
>>Hopefully, multi-tasking will some year come to single-user computers :-)

>Actually, multi-tasking single-user computers have been available for years.
>OS-9 on the TRS-80 Color Computer, for example, and AmigaDOS on the Commodore
>Amiga. Just because the IBM PEE-CEE and Apple Macintosh don't have a
>multitasking oprating system, doesn't mean that the rest of the world is stuck
>with single tasking (and note that both IBM and Apple intend to introduce
>multitasking OS's Real Soon Now).

>I think that we'll see the demise of ancient CP/M-derived operating systems
>Real Soon Now (as Marketing would say :-).

My comment was intended to display humor and amazement that there could be
doubt about the future of multi-tasking, especially in this newsgroup.
It is clear that the posting was not crisp enough, as I got numerous pieces
of mail urging me to look at AmigaDOS and others to assure myself that
multi-tasking was indeed possible on a single-user computer.

Given that PCs were hardly the first single-user computers,
and that multi-tasking on single-user systems has existed almost as long as
the systems have, I'd guess that the current prevalence of
single-tasking systems is just an anomoly of the cost/performance &
feature (i.e. lack of builtin memory-mapping) combinations of late 70s /
early 80s microprocessors.
For many years, each successive generation of
computers (mainframes, minis, micros) seemed to repeat most of the mistakes
of the earlier ones.  Now that current micros have:
	a) useful addressability (32-bits)
	b) on-chip MMUs (hence no cost-cutting reason to omit them)
	c) reasonable design for use with high-level languages
	d) more-or-less reasonable design for use with multi-tasking OSs
and given that DRAMs are getting big enough that it's almost HARD to build
tiny-memory systems, the original reasons for this aberration are rapidly
going away, leaving only the software legacy [unfortunately].

Anyway, sorry for the lack of clarity in my original comment.
UUCP: 	{ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!mash  OR  mash@mips.com
DDD:  	408-991-0253 or 408-720-1700, x253

lipp@hpindda.HP.COM (Roger Lipp) (12/10/87)

Hey, Mash, long time no see (this is really Herb Gellis
logged in as somebody else).... Nothing brilliant to say,
needless to say, I vote for multitasking on
PEE CEE's.... just a matter of time and a drop in price
for it to be more commonplace.  Windows-386 will help out
the rich folk who can afford 386 machines and want to run
the plethora of DOS applications today, etc. etc.

In article <1062@winchester.UUCP>, mash@mips.UUCP (John Mashey) writes:
> Given that PCs were hardly the first single-user computers,
> and that multi-tasking on single-user systems has existed almost as long as
> the systems have, I'd guess that the current prevalence of
> single-tasking systems is just an anomoly of the cost/performance &
> feature (i.e. lack of builtin memory-mapping) combinations of late 70s /
> early 80s microprocessors.

I'd say that the reason was that IBM dived into the market with a machine that
was at most a slight improvement over existing single-tasking systems just as
multitasking CP/M derivitives (MP/M, CP/M 3.x) and reasonable micro-based
UNIX boxes (Onyx, etc...) were just getting into the water. IBM's entry swamped
them and they never came up again. The industry is just now beginning to
recover from the advent of the IBM-PC.

> For many years, each successive generation of
> computers (mainframes, minis, micros) seemed to repeat most of the mistakes
> of the earlier ones.  Now that current micros have:
> 	a) useful addressability (32-bits)

Multitasking doesn't require a large adress space. UNIX *used to* run fine in
256K with a user or two.

> 	b) on-chip MMUs (hence no cost-cutting reason to omit them)

Multitasking doesn't require an MMU. VenturCom has been selling UNIX for the
IBM-PC for years. Or look at the Coco...

> 	c) reasonable design for use with high-level languages

6809, anyone? Back to the Coco.

> 	d) more-or-less reasonable design for use with multi-tasking OSs

Please explain what you mean by this.

> and given that DRAMs are getting big enough that it's almost HARD to build
> tiny-memory systems, the original reasons for this aberration are rapidly
> going away, leaving only the software legacy [unfortunately].

The original reason for this abberation is still around, but it's working hard
to catch up.
--
-- Peter da Silva  `-_-'  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- Disclaimer: These U aren't mere opinions... these are *values*.

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (12/31/87)

In article <1314@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>I'd say that the reason [for the dominance of single-tasking PC systems]
>was that IBM dived into the market with a machine that was at most a
>slight improvement over existing single-tasking systems just as
>multitasking CP/M derivitives (MP/M, CP/M 3.x) and reasonable micro-based
>UNIX boxes (Onyx, etc...) were just getting into the water. IBM's entry swamped
>them and they never came up again. The industry is just now beginning to
>recover from the advent of the IBM-PC.

I would think that it was much more the fact that, for the first time,
the corporate users had a machine from a company that they knew (IBM),
and which wasn't so complex as to overwhelm the first-time computer
users.  The IBM PC was, IMHO, a significant improvement over the boxes
available at the time, which, for business, tended to be CP/M systems
put together by relatively unreliable and unsupportive houses such
as Godbout or Morrow.  When the corporate types saw a machine which
would meet their small computer needs, with the full corporate clout
of IBM behind them, they went for it full bore.

Just now beginning to recover from the advent of the IBM PC?  I'd
rather think that it was the IBM PC, warts and all, which opened the
door to corporate computing for small computers.  Once the users gained
sufficient ease with the whole idea of computing, a concept which very
few of them had ever been exposed to before, the possibility of more
powerful systems, with more powerful operating systems, became something
they were willing (and, in many cases, ready) to consider.  You have to
crawl before you can walk, and I think the IBM PC made a pretty good
set of training wheels.  Of course, one must cast aside one's training
wheels sometime, and I think that the majority of business computer
users are rapidly approaching the point where a stock IBM with MS-DOS
will no longer do the jobs they need to have done.

--
Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate

mash@mips.UUCP (John Mashey) (01/03/88)

In article <1314@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <1062@winchester.UUCP>, mash@mips.UUCP (John Mashey) writes:
>> Given that PCs were hardly the first single-user computers,
>> and that multi-tasking on single-user systems has existed almost as long as
>> the systems have, I'd guess that the current prevalence of
>> single-tasking systems is just an anomoly of the cost/performance &
>> feature (i.e. lack of builtin memory-mapping) combinations of late 70s /
>> early 80s microprocessors.

Peter adds some various notes to this: I don't think there is any
fundamental disagreement, but I'll explain more what I meant:

>I'd say that the reason was that IBM dived into the market with a machine that
>was at most a slight improvement over existing single-tasking systems just as
>multitasking CP/M derivitives (MP/M, CP/M 3.x) and reasonable micro-based
>UNIX boxes (Onyx, etc...) were just getting into the water. IBM's entry swamped
>them and they never came up again....
Apples were this way too, so one can't just blame IBM.

>> For many years, each successive generation of
>> computers (mainframes, minis, micros) seemed to repeat most of the mistakes
>> of the earlier ones.  Now that current micros have:
>> 	a) useful addressability (32-bits)

>Multitasking doesn't require a large adress space. UNIX *used to* run fine in
>256K with a user or two.
Well, at one time it ran OK in 64K total, split between kernel and user,
and for years, it ran OK in 124K total real memory, with 64KB I & 64KB D
space per user.  They were wonderful at the time, but I sure wouldn't want
to go back.  The compromises got pretty painful towards the end.  The point
is that micro addressability is in the same league as supermini and mainframe.

>> 	b) on-chip MMUs (hence no cost-cutting reason to omit them)

>Multitasking doesn't require an MMU. VenturCom has been selling UNIX for the
>IBM-PC for years. Or look at the Coco...
Of course it doesn't require it, but it sure makes life easier for
certain styles of multi-tasking, especially UNIX's.  As a percentage of the
market, I suspect UNIX on PCs is a fairly low number; it is clear that
386s will make life easier.

>> 	d) more-or-less reasonable design for use with multi-tasking OSs
I.e., designed to support kernel + multiple user processes, each in their
own address space if they want to be, allow paging, and having no oded
quirks that let user programs unduly affect the state of the machine,
plus enough performance  that one can burn some of it supporting the
extra scheduling, protection, paging, etc.  [some of this has nothing to
do directly with multi-tasking, maybe I should have been more specific
and added some of the rest of these things, i.e., not just multi-tasking,
but "reasonably modern OS that can support multiple processes, some of which
might be larger than real memory, can support complex networking environments,
and does not run into arbitrary small limits in physical memory,
disk sizes, virtual memory, or number of processes."

>Please explain what you mean by this.
>
>> and given that DRAMs are getting big enough that it's almost HARD to build
>> tiny-memory systems, the original reasons for this aberration are rapidly
>> going away, leaving only the software legacy [unfortunately].

>The original reason for this abberation is still around, but it's working hard
>to catch up.

Again, I don't think we fundamentally disagree, except I think blaming it
all on IBM is a little strong, but that's a matter of opinion.