[comp.arch] Why is SPARC so slow? [long, mo

aglew@ccvaxa.UUCP (12/20/87)

John Mashey mentioned "understanding DEC's performance methodology"
in one of his recent postings. Can anyone explain DEC's performance
methodology to me, or give me references? I'm still new at this
sort of thing.

Andy "Krazy" Glew. Gould CSD-Urbana.    1101 E. University, Urbana, IL 61801
aglew@mycroft.gould.com    ihnp4!uiucdcs!ccvaxa!aglew    aglew@gswd-vms.arpa

My opinions are my own, and are not the opinions of my employer, or any
other organisation. I indicate my company only so that the reader may
account for any possible bias I may have towards our products.

aglew@ccvaxa.UUCP (12/24/87)

>If you are testing the performance of a specific system configuration (CPU,
>memory, disk, OS, etc, etc) fine, do so.  If you are addressing the
>performance of the CPU/FPU/cache (which seems to be what is discussed in this
>group), don't use those benchmarks or at least try to factor out the
>peripheral/OS/whatever differences.
>
>     	Randell Jesup			Lunge Software Development

I very much disagree - I/O system architecture should be just as much the
topic of the comp.arch newsgroup as CPU and memory system architecture.
The problem, of course, is that there are more varieties of I/O systems.
Which is one of the best reasons for discussing them.

I do not mean to compare things like the Berkeley Fast File System
with a CP/M disk layout. But, incidents like the report that BSD filesystem
performance can actually go down with a disk cache are appropriate
(smart SW/smart HW don't always mix). As is anything that talks about
faster I/O, since I/O is the bottleneck on too many systems.

hansen@mips.UUCP (Craig Hansen) (01/06/88)

In article <28200078@ccvaxa>, aglew@ccvaxa.UUCP writes:
> John Mashey mentioned "understanding DEC's performance methodology"
> in one of his recent postings. Can anyone explain DEC's performance
> methodology to me, or give me references? I'm still new at this
> sort of thing.

A good reference is "VAXstation 3200 Performance Analysis" from
DEC "Worksystems Marketing", Dated Sept. 9, 1987. I think that
what John meant by their performance methodology is their
emphasis on not stating a single performance number. For example,
they quote MicroVAX-II relative performance for the Sun-4/260
and the VS3200 as:

PRODUCT	       VENDOR     PERFORMANCE vs VSII      BENCHMARK
             MIPS CLAIM   MEAN          RANGE     SAMPLE SIZE

Sun-4/260        10       4.56       1.8-13.3       38
Digital VS3200    -       3.11       2.2-4.3        61

DEC's methodology is not foolproof, but it's harder to lie with their
statistics.  If I were to criticize their methodology, it would be
that they rely too much on small benchmarks, and not enough on "real"
programs, but that's an industry-wide problem, and DEC is not the
worst offender here.
--
Craig Hansen
Manager, Architecture Development