[comp.arch] a thought provoking note on RISC processors

steve@alberta.UUCP (Steve Sutphen) (01/07/88)

I found the quotation from Charles E. Sporck - President of National
Semiconductor - rather thought provoking:
	"No RISC processor will be introduced unless it is compatible
	 with the existing 32000 microprocessor line."
			Electronics, December 17, 1987, pp.32

I wonder if he was misquoted?
	steve.

rwa@auvax.UUCP (Ross Alexander) (01/07/88)

In article <1007@pembina.UUCP>, steve@alberta.UUCP (Steve Sutphen) writes:
			[use your 'p' key here]
> I wonder if he was misquoted?
> 	steve.

Perhpas he meant `compatible with ns32K-series mmu, fpu, and/or peripheral
chips'; that is, buss compatible with the ns32k?

Ross Alexander @ Athabasca U
alberta!auvax!rwa

mash@mips.UUCP (John Mashey) (01/08/88)

In article <490@auvax.UUCP> rwa@auvax.UUCP (Ross Alexander) writes:
>In article <1007@pembina.UUCP>, steve@alberta.UUCP (Steve Sutphen) writes:

>Perhpas he meant `compatible with ns32K-series mmu, fpu, and/or peripheral
>chips'; that is, buss compatible with the ns32k?

This is at least plausible, especially for the peripheral chips.
In any case, it would seem unlikely (and probably unwise) for NSC
to be pouring resources into a RISC chip design at this point.
Only the first few entrants into a market have much chance,
and if you didn't start 2-3 years ago, it's too late for this one.
Observe that the most aggressive "early adopters" either built their own RISC
architecture before 1986, or if not building their own, selected one
and got going with it either in 1986 or 1987.  Almost anybody else
in the computer business, if they go RISC at all,  and if not doing their own,
will pick sides during 1988 and get designs going.   Common wisdom says that
if you can't be 1st, 2nd, or (maybe) 3rd in a market, you ought to stay
out of it, unless you can segment it somehow to get a bigger share.
Hence, one would expect that it would be sane for NSC to stay
away from this one and concentrate on places where the 532 can win.
UUCP: 	{ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!mash  OR  mash@mips.com
DDD:  	408-991-0253 or 408-720-1700, x253

Jinfu_Jinfu_Chen@cup.portal.com (01/14/88)

No wonder Natioanl Semiconductors sold the Clipper to Intergraph. :-)

Jinfu Chen
(used to work for Fairchild, obviously this is my own opinion)