[comp.arch] sun's new mips honesty

jaw@eos.UUCP (James A. Woods) (02/04/88)

# "there's only one two." -- local tv station slogan

sun touts the new 4/110 as doing seven vax integer mips
in the second paragraph of their press release.
makes real sense this time, given the clock rate.

taking 8.4 as the mashey-measured mips for the 4/280
unix utility run (guess they finally have the compiler tuned),
we get an honest 7 coming out of the equation
(clock rate 16.67 mhz -> 14 mhz).

it still doesn't make the *current* high-end 4/200 series
machine an honest ten, so they must be reserving the verity
of this figure for a future (cypress chip) member of the line ...

personally, i'm waiting for the cut-price 4/60.

mash@mips.COM (John Mashey) (02/05/88)

In article <168@eos.UUCP> jaw@eos.UUCP (James A. Woods) writes:
># "there's only one two." -- local tv station slogan

>sun touts the new 4/110 as doing seven vax integer mips
>in the second paragraph of their press release.
>makes real sense this time, given the clock rate.

>taking 8.4 as the mashey-measured mips for the 4/280
>unix utility run (guess they finally have the compiler tuned),
>we get an honest 7 coming out of the equation
>(clock rate 16.67 mhz -> 14 mhz).

>it still doesn't make the *current* high-end 4/200 series
>machine an honest ten, so they must be reserving the verity
>of this figure for a future (cypress chip) member of the line ...

I'm sure James meant some more :-) in his discussion.  To correct a
possible misimpression, the "MIPS UNIX" utility run James referenced
was indeed 8.4, from "MIPS Update for 3.0, Dec 87".  However, as it states:
"# VAX 11/780 runs 4.3BSD for MIPS UNIX, Ultrix 2.0 (vcc) for
Stanford, VAX/VMS for all others.  Use of 4.3BSD (no global optimizer)
probably inflates the MIPS UNIX column by about 10%."

In any case, as I'm sure James knows quite well:
	a) A mips-claim without realistic backup benchmarks is not
	tremendously meaningful.
	b) A clock rate scaling is at best a gross estimate, ESPECIALLY
	for heavily-cached RISC machines.  From the data given, one doesn't
	know whether or not there's a cache, and if so, how big it is.
	Likewise, it's conceivable that going to a slower clock, and a
	different memory system design, might shave clocks off the
	memory-to-cache latency, so that a 14MHz design might be faster
	that 14/16.7 of the 16.7MHz design.

Presumably everyone may know more when benchmark numbers are available.
UUCP: 	{ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!mash  OR  mash@mips.com
DDD:  	408-991-0253 or 408-720-1700, x253

davis@wasp.cs.unc.edu (Mark Davis) (02/06/88)

In article <1503@winchester.mips.COM> mash@winchester.UUCP (John Mashey) writes:

>	b) A clock rate scaling is at best a gross estimate, ESPECIALLY
>	for heavily-cached RISC machines.  From the data given, one doesn't
>	know whether or not there's a cache,

Isn't cache the real issue.  Sun 3/200's have different memory systems
than sun 3/100's (cache).  Maybe to get the correct rating, you should
multiply:

10 {sun 4/260 mips} * 14/16.67 {clock ratio} 2 / 4 {sun 3/160 vs 3/260 mips}
= 4.2 mips

The Sun 3/110 and 3/260 numbers are from MIPS December report (rounded).
I agree with John; lets find out more about the architecture and run
some benchmarks.

Thanks - Mark (davis@cs.unc.edu)