[comp.arch] data alignment

chris@trantor.umd.edu (Chris Torek) (02/17/88)

In article <496@ecrcvax.UUCP> johng@ecrcvax.UUCP (John Gregor) writes:
>I would like that also, but don't call it a struct.  Rearranging the order
>breaks lots of code and violates K&R p. 196.

Yes.  In fact, I have the perfect name for it, stolen from Craig
Stanfill's thesis hacking days here at U of MD.

If you take a bunch of data items and arrange them in an order,
you have a structured collection of data: a `struct'.  But if
you throw the data items in a carry-sack and shake well, you
have an unordered tangle of data.  Hence the proper name for
an unordered aggregate type: a `bag'.

Next week: the `blender' datatype :-) .
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Computer Science, +1 301 454 7163
(hiding out on trantor.umd.edu until mimsy is reassembled in its new home)