[comp.arch] multiphase clocks vs. MHz

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (03/12/88)

In article <3356@psuvax1.psu.edu> przemek@gondor.cs.psu.edu (Przemyslaw
Klosowski) writes:
>... the performance issue is how fast are the signals in the chip running,
>and what is on the I/O pins. To be (over)precise: what is the fundamental
>frequency in the inside and  on the edge of the chip.

I know next to nothing about VLSI design, but it is clear that, at
least from a theoretical standpoint, two separate clocks running at
speed S (even 180 degrees out of phase) and a single clock running at
2S are not the same.  Similarly, three clocks at S and one at 3S are
`the same' only in that one can be generated from the other.  In the
limit, an infinite number of clock phases (with the right ones put in
the right places at the right times) is equivalent to self-timed logic,
not logic running at an infinite number of Hz.

I think what przemek@gondor means is that if you fix the chip
interface, the 2x clock becomes important.  But the interface and the
overall architecture are not always that closely bound.  It might, for
instance, turn out that the MIPS chip could be made to go notably
faster by supplying five carefully-tuned phases, but without any other
changes.  You can almost see the daughterboard lashup in the prototype
lab now. . . .