[comp.arch] Cray-3 ?

pj@litp.UUCP (Pierre JOUVELOT) (03/19/88)

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for any information concerning the up-to-come Cray-3 such as
clock period, technology, architecture, cooling system, and/or any
interesting feature about this machine. Does anyone have any clue about
it ?

Thanks in advance,

Pierre
--
Pierre Jouvelot
Centre d'Automatique et Informatique

upton@ole.UUCP (Mike Upton) (03/23/88)

The folowing data was presented at the 1987 IEEE GaAs Symposium.
The paper was entitled:
	CRAY-3: A GaAs Implemented Supercomputer System.
	Dave Kiefer-CRAY
	John Heightley-Gigabit Logic

For anyone who doesn't know, Gigabit is a Gallium Arsenide foundry
with a line of SSI and MSI GaAs parts, they are doing the fab work for
CRAY for the CRAY 3.

This is Table 1 as persented in the paper:

ATTRIBUTE	CRAY3		CRAY2

GFLOPS		>10		1.2

Clock		500MHz		244MHz

Power		150kW		150kW

Size		32" octagon	53" diameter
		34" high	45" high

Technology
		GaAs DFET	Si ECL
		200 gates/chip  16 gates/chip

prop delay
		80ps internal	350ps internal
		200ps external	650ps external

packageing	Direct Die to	Packaged devices
		board

other numbers cited in the paper include

memory:	1 Gbyte   "local memory only requires 6ns access time ..."
	40K chips

Logic:  50K chips, ~200 different designs.

the paper goes into some depth about the yield of the GaAs process.
It didnt say in the paper, but I believe the 3 will contain 16
processors.

CRAY is a registered trademark of Cray Research, Inc.
--
Michael Upton@Seattle Silicon (uucp: ...uw-beaver!tikal!ole!upton)
/*           Semi-conducting our business since 1983        */

biagioni@mckinley.cs.unc.edu (Edoardo Biagioni) (03/24/88)

In article <417@ole.UUCP> upton@ole.UUCP (Mike Upton) writes:
>Clock		500MHz
means a 2 ns clock.

>Size		32" octagon
>		34" high

Since light takes 1 ns to travel 12", they must have lots of fun
distributing the clock....

On the other hand, maybe only the CPU is clocked at that speed, and
it might be much smaller than 32".

Ed Biagioni	biagioni@cs.unc.edu 		Department of Computer Science
		seismo!mcnc!unc!biagioni	Chapel Hill, N.C. 27514, USA