[comp.arch] Big programs on workstations

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (03/23/88)

I have heard from a lot of people who say that they regularly run
programs which take days of CPU to complete. What surprises me is that
these were commercial installations in some cases. I guess if salaries
are low enough it's cheaper to wait for results than to buy a little
time on a <favorite big computer>.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

rwwetmore@watmath.waterloo.edu (Ross Wetmore) (03/26/88)

In article <10058@steinmetz.steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen@kbsvax.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
>I have heard from a lot of people who say that they regularly run
>programs which take days of CPU to complete. [ ... ] I guess if salaries
>are low enough it's cheaper to wait for results than to buy a little
>time on a <favorite big computer>.

  On the otherhand it may be far less expensive to time-slice an employee
than spend the man-years to move an application to <a bigger machine>, and
then try to link the environments sufficiently to allow it to run :-)

>	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)
>  {uunet | philabs | seismo}!steinmetz!crdos1!davidsen

Ross W. Wetmore                 | rwwetmore@water.NetNorth
University of Waterloo          | rwwetmore@math.waterloo.edu
Waterloo, Ontario N2L 3G1       | {clyde, ihnp4, ubc-vision, utcsri}
(519) 885-1211 ext 3491         |   !watmath!rwwetmore