[comp.arch] Sandia's parallelism speedups

gwu@clyde.ATT.COM (George Wu) (03/31/88)

     I recently read a short blurb somewhere about Sandia achieving some
astonishing speedups in parallel processing. As the article was a non-technical
magazine, they didn't go into detail.

     Could someone expound upon this, please? At the very least, I'd like to
know what tasks they were attempting. A quick summary of what methods were
used to acheive their results would be nice, too. I mean, did they used some
amazing new architecture? Or a fantastic optimzing compiler? Maybe completely
new algorithms? (I suspect it's more like a combination of all of these. At
the very least, I believe the article stated they did use their own hardware.)
As a minimum, a reference to a more informative article would be appreciated.
Thanks much in advance.

--
					George J Wu

UUCP: {ihnp4,ulysses,cbosgd,allegra}!clyde!gwu
ARPA: gwu%clyde.att.com@rutgers.edu or gwu@faraday.ece.cmu.edu

lindsay@K.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (Donald Lindsay) (04/02/88)

In article <24119@clyde.ATT.COM> gwu@clyde.ATT.COM (George Wu) writes:
>I recently read a short blurb somewhere about Sandia achieving some
>astonishing speedups in parallel processing. As the article was a
>non-technical magazine, they didn't go into detail.
>Could someone expound upon this, please?

They did it on a parallel machine, so the subject has been discussed
on comp.parallel (formerly comp.hypercube). Rather than discuss it
here, I recommend you read back news on that newsgroup, and then
consider joining the newsgroup.
--
	Don		lindsay@k.gp.cs.cmu.edu    CMU Computer Science