[comp.arch] Radiation Hardening Chips

gregbill@cstowe.csoft.co.nz (Bill & Greg) (04/01/88)

HI there Y'all out in Netland,

     We (Commercial Software Ltd) are looking for information on
radiation hardening chips. This is because we are involved in the
SCONZ project (Space COmmunications New Zealand) and have been
asked by SCONZQUANGO to obtain information on hardening chips for
space radiation exposure.

     We have the technology to make the chips (using REALM (Rather Exotic
Advanced Lead Molding technology)) but are unsure of what we should
alloy the lead with to make it more resistent to radiation. We have
read about the techniques for Silicon Hardnening, but they don't really
apply in this case.

     We would appreciate any information on current research into lead
hardening for radioactive environments. It would also be
interesting to get any information on protection against EMP as we
would like the satellite to function after any Nuclear War (as we
would survive as no one could hit such a little place, Ahh - you say -
what about the Nuclear Winter -- well, we have a big thermal blanket
and sunlamp).

     What has this to do with a software company? Well, we have been
asked to set up SPUSENET (SPace transmitted USENET) to reduce the
costs of importing news from the US and AUS and we have access to the
net whilst no one else in the group has.

Thanx in Advance,

       |\  /|
       |//\\|
        /  \
       /    \
      /      \
     /        \
    / ==    == \
   /  <>    <>  \
  (      ||      )
  (     _||_     )
  (    |____|    )
   \            /
    \" \____/ "/
     \""\__/""/
      \""""""/
       \""""/
       	\""/
         \/

Tonguesa Love from Greg and Bill and Zippy (or Bill and Greg and Zippy)

govett@avsd.UUCP (David Govett) (04/05/88)

>      We (Commercial Software Ltd) are looking for information on
> radiation hardening chips. This is because we are involved in the
> SCONZ project (Space COmmunications New Zealand) and have been
> asked by SCONZQUANGO to obtain information on hardening chips for
> space radiation exposure.
>
>      We have the technology to make the chips (using REALM (Rather Exotic
> Advanced Lead Molding technology)) but are unsure of what we should
> alloy the lead with to make it more resistent to radiation. We have
> read about the techniques for Silicon Hardnening, but they don't really
> apply in this case.

I though that you New Zealanders gave up nuclear-related technologies
Lange ago so that the Soviets wouldn't notice you.  Do I detect an
incipient backbone?

By the way, couldn't you come up with more euphonic acronyms than
SCONZ and SCONZQUANGO?

ok@quintus.UUCP (Richard A. O'Keefe) (04/06/88)

In article <75@avsd.UUCP>, govett@avsd.UUCP (David Govett) writes:
> >      We (Commercial Software Ltd) are looking for information on
> > radiation hardening chips. This is because we are involved in the
> > SCONZ project (Space COmmunications New Zealand) and have been
> > asked by SCONZQUANGO to obtain information on hardening chips for
> > space radiation exposure.

> I though that you New Zealanders gave up nuclear-related technologies
> Lange ago so that the Soviets wouldn't notice you.  Do I detect an
> incipient backbone?

NZ didn't "give up nuclear-related technologies".
It repudiated nuclear _weapons_, a very different thing.
You think it doesn't take backbone to stick to your principles (come to
that, to the principles of the _American_ Methodist Bishops) despite
Uncle's tantrums and threats?  [NZ, by the way, stuck within the letter
of the ANZUS pact, of which I have a copy.  The US did _not_.]

> By the way, couldn't you come up with more euphonic acronyms than
> SCONZ and SCONZQUANGO?

"Scones" is the English name for what USAns call "biscuits".
Sounds euphonious to me.  QUANGO is a standard English acronym,
standing for "QUasi-Autonomous Non-Governmental Organisation".

But the cream of the joke is that the flamer apparently didn't notice
the dateline:  1 Apr 88, or that while rec.humor was among the
Newsgroups, comp.lsi and sci.electronics (which would have been the
appropriate newsgroups if the request had been genuine) were not.

Nice one, Zippy and (Gregg and/or Bill).  Kua nui te kata.