[comp.arch] Fortran summary

haynes@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (99700000) (04/09/88)

All this has gotten rather far afield from architecture since the
subject was first raised.  I believe we can summarize to a few points:

1.  Fortran is not going to go away

2.  Certain features of the language (e.g. COMMON and EQUIVALENCE)
assume a linear random access memory and thus make it tough on
architectures that would like to treat memory in a more structured
way (e.g. descriptors a la Burroughs).

3. Any others?
haynes@ucscc.ucsc.edu
haynes@ucscc.bitnet
..ucbvax!ucscc!haynes

bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (04/09/88)

>1.  Fortran is not going to go away
>
>2.  Certain features of the language (e.g. COMMON and EQUIVALENCE)
>assume a linear random access memory and thus make it tough on
>architectures that would like to treat memory in a more structured
>way (e.g. descriptors a la Burroughs).
>
>3. Any others?

3. The best reason to use Fortran is because you are working in an
environment where Fortran is the best supported language for the job
at hand (eg. the only language with a vectorizer, specific subroutine
libraries you need where the data objects and/or programming interface
are already defined for you in terms of Fortran and reworking that in
terms of another language would mostly be an academic exercise of little
benefit.)

4. The worst reason to use Fortran is because it's the only language
you know, unless the problem is relatively trivial (which is all such
a person should be allowed to solve in a professional environment,
something that fits the model INPUT->TRANSFORM->OUTPUT where
transformation is arithmetic rather than structure or control
oriented.) This doesn't mean a person with a broad grasp of the tools
won't use Fortran, but hopefully their decision won't be based on lack
of choice due to ignorance.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

agr@vaxine.UUCP (Arnold Reinhold) (04/15/88)

In article <2730@saturn.ucsc.edu> haynes@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (Jim Haynes) writes:
>All this has gotten rather far afield from architecture since the

May I suggest that the Fortran debate calls into question one assumption that
underlies the RISC revolution.  Namely that machine architecture can be
trusted to a negotiation between the VLSI designer and the compiler writer.
Since most code will be written in a high level language, the compiler
writer can fully represent the interests of the user community in the design
proces.

The fact that scientific users cannot be weaned from a language designed
thirty one years ago may be a reflection on their pig headedness, but it
may also mean that the computer language community may have failed to
understand or sympathize with their needs.  As a result they may not enjoy
the performance gains touted for RISC.

I would be interested in hearing about benchmarks comparing, say, a Sun 3
and Sun 4 on large scientific applications, especially image processing
operations (e.g. integer convolutions).

Arnold Reinhold
Automatix Inc.
Billerica, Mass. USA