[comp.arch] Computer noises

romkey@kaos.UUCP (John Romkey) (03/29/88)

In article <25959@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> lisper-bjorn@CS.YALE.EDU
(Bjorn Lisper) writes:
>Some historic computer trivia: the Swedish late-fifties computer BESK at
>some stage of its lifecycle had a loudspeaker connected to its instruction
>register. Different instructions gave a different sound, so you could hear
>it compute. A skilled operator could actually hear if the computer had got
>stuck in an infinite loop!

The Radio Shack TRS-80 Model 1 (a personal computer before PC meant
IBM) put out enough RF interference that it became popular among
TRS-80 hackers to put a small radio next to the machine to listen to
what it was doing. Some people tried to program them to play music
this way...
--
			- john romkey
UUCP: ...harvard!spdcc!kaos!romkey	ARPA: romkey@xx.lcs.mit.edu

davidc@umd5.umd.edu (David Conrad) (03/30/88)

From article <769@kaos.UUCP>, by romkey@kaos.UUCP (John Romkey):
> In article <25959@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> lisper-bjorn@CS.YALE.EDU
>>Some historic computer trivia: the Swedish late-fifties computer BESK at
>>it compute. A skilled operator could actually hear if the computer had got
>>stuck in an infinite loop!
> The Radio Shack TRS-80 Model 1 (a personal computer before PC meant
> IBM) put out enough RF interference that it became popular among
> TRS-80 hackers to put a small radio next to the machine to listen to
> what it was doing. Some people tried to program them to play music
> this way...

I read an article in some PC magazine (PC maybe) that described the correct
frequencies to listen to your AT.  The article claimed that it was fairly
easy to hear an infinite loop.

As an aside, netwatch, as distributed by IBM as part of their TCP/IP on the
PC software has a noise option ('N') which makes a noise whenever a packet
goes by.

> 			- john romkey

-drc

schwartz@gondor.cs.psu.edu (Scott Schwartz) (03/30/88)

In article <2516@umd5.umd.edu> davidc@umd5.umd.edu (David Conrad) writes:
> [lots of quotations]
>I read an article in some PC magazine (PC maybe) that described the correct
>frequencies to listen to your AT.  The article claimed that it was fairly
>easy to hear an infinite loop.
>
>As an aside, netwatch, as distributed by IBM as part of their TCP/IP on the
>PC software has a noise option ('N') which makes a noise whenever a packet
>goes by.

That's the spirit!  But really, who needs special hardware to hear their
machine think?  If you sit quitely next to almost any computer, you can
hear the high pitched noises that the circuit boards make as the load
changes.  Sitting next to my father's PC clone I find it easy to tell
when it does some compute bound thing, like a bunch of floating point
math (no coprocessor, by the way...).  Or, sitting next to this Sun3,
when X windows (slowly) repaints the screen the noise from the cpu is
positively audible.

Does OSHA (sp?) know about this?  I mean, we should all be wearing
protective earmuffs. :-)

-- Scott Schwartz                       | Your array may be without head or
        schwartz@gondor.cs.psu.edu      | tail, yet it will be proof against

radford@calgary.UUCP (Radford Neal) (03/31/88)

In article <769@kaos.UUCP>, romkey@kaos.UUCP (John Romkey) writes:

> The Radio Shack TRS-80 Model 1 (a personal computer before PC meant
> IBM) put out enough RF interference that it became popular among
> TRS-80 hackers to put a small radio next to the machine to listen to
> what it was doing. Some people tried to program them to play music
> this way...

I have a vague recollection back from when I was a first-year student
(1974) of someone demonstrating a program for the PDP-8 that played a quite
good rendition of some piece of music on a radio placed beside the
CPU. In retrospect, this seems moderately unlikely, though not impossible.
Does anyone know whether such a program existed? Whether it was feasible?
I believe the machine had core memory, would that have helped?

If it existed, it must have been some hack... I recall the music lasting
at least 10 seconds, good enough to require 6K samples/second minimum, say
6 bits per sample, doesn't look like it fits in 4K 12-bit words... Maybe
I was duped... Then again, the machine did have a disk...

   Radford Neal

dfk@duke.cs.duke.edu (David Kotz) (04/01/88)

In article <1503@vaxb.calgary.UUCP>, radford@calgary.UUCP (Radford Neal) writes:
> I have a vague recollection back from when I was a first-year student
> (1974) of someone demonstrating a program for the PDP-8 that played a quite
> good rendition of some piece of music on a radio placed beside the
> CPU. In retrospect, this seems moderately unlikely, though not impossible.
> Does anyone know whether such a program existed? Whether it was feasible?

Indeed it did exist; we ran it (c. 1980) on our PDP 8 in high school
too (hmm, where did you go to school?). It was run in single-user
mode, loaded in from a DECTAPE. It had a repertoire of 10-20 tunes
some of which lasted a long time. They were quite good and even had
several voices involved.

Gotta love those old things with front panels, lights, and noises...

David Kotz
--
Department of Computer Science, Duke University, Durham, NC 27706
ARPA:	dfk@cs.duke.edu

rwa@auvax.UUCP (Ross Alexander) (04/01/88)

In article <1503@vaxb.calgary.UUCP>, radford@calgary.UUCP (Radford Neal) writes:
> I have a vague recollection back from when I was a first-year student
> (1974) of someone demonstrating a program for the PDP-8 that played a quite
> good rendition of some piece of music on a radio placed beside the
> CPU. In retrospect, this seems moderately unlikely, though not impossible.

and continues by observing that it would be difficult to fit enough
information into a 4k pdp8 to allow more than 10 seconds of music,
assuming 6k samples/second.  True enough; but that's not how it's
done ;-).  The basic code is something like

.=0010

MUSICP,	MUSIC		/ autoincrement pointer to list of notes

.=0200			/ code lives on page 1

	CLA		/ 0 --> accumulator

PLAY,	TLS		/ essentially, start a 1/10 second timer :-)

	TAD I	MUSIC	/ get next note code
	TAD	DELAYL	/ convert to index into delay list
	DCA	DELAYP	/ save address of delay count

PAUSE,	TAD I	DELAYP	/ refresh delay counter
	DCA	STALL

	ISZ	STALL	/ sleep for a while
	JMP	.-1

	TSF		/ has timer expired yet ? ******
	JMP	PAUSE	/ no, go stall some more

	JMP	PLAY	/ yes, get next note

STALL,	0		/ sleep counter
DELAYP,	0		/ pointer into delay list
DELAYL,	DELAYS		/ constant to form above pointer

DELAYS,	0100		/ these values are clearly incorrect
	0200
	0300
	.
	.
	.

MUSIC=0400		/ list of notes starts on page 2

	END

The reason this works (aside from coding errors; it's been _years_!)
is that the TSF (marked with the asterisks above) induces a spike of
RF energy as a side effect.  If you sleep 1/4000 second, do a TSF,
and loop back to the sleep, a radio will produce a 4 kilohertz tone.
After 1/10 second, the TSF will skip over the JMP PAUSE and we will
advance to the next note.

This basic technique can be extended ( there is room for both a
duration and a note code in each 12-bit word, for example ) get
better encoding and also more than one voice; three voices is doable
but tricky.  You can also do a light show in the accumulator display
while you're at it - this is really impressive.

I sure wish we had an 8 in the machine room nowadays - it would add
a nice traditional touch that's lacking (the vaxen are visually
boring).

Ross Alexander, Athabasca University
alberta!auvax!rwa

fu@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (04/01/88)

I remember, when I was with ICL (in England) ~1980, listening to a ICL2960
playing "Land of Hope and Glory" to the Chairman, on one of his rare visits
to the RnD site in Manchester, England. The Commissioning (debugging) Engineers
claimed that a number of manufacturing diagnostics were designed to play
specific tunes and that audio debugging was quite usual.

rober@weitek.UUCP (Don Rober) (04/01/88)

In article <1503@vaxb.calgary.UUCP> radford@calgary.UUCP (Radford Neal) writes:
>I have a vague recollection back from when I was a first-year student
>(1974) of someone demonstrating a program for the PDP-8 that played a quite
>good rendition of some piece of music on a radio placed beside the
>CPU. In retrospect, this seems moderately unlikely, though not impossible.

We wrote some music using FOCAL on a PDP-8I (1971, 4K core memory, cheap AM
transistor radio). It only lasted 2 or 3 seconds, but it did work.

>.............. Then again, the machine did have a disk...
                                                   ^^^^
Wow, we only had paper tape!

Don Rober				UUCP: {pyramid, cae780}!weitek!rober
Weitek Corporation	1060 East Arques		Sunnyvale, CA 94086

jesup@pawl16.pawl.rpi.edu (Randell E. Jesup) (04/01/88)

In article <1503@vaxb.calgary.UUCP> radford@calgary.UUCP (Radford Neal) writes:
>I have a vague recollection back from when I was a first-year student
>(1974) of someone demonstrating a program for the PDP-8 that played a quite
>good rendition of some piece of music on a radio placed beside the
>CPU. In retrospect, this seems moderately unlikely, though not impossible.

	Who needs a radio??  The RPI X-Ray crystalography (sp) lab's PDP-8
serial #175 just ran the output of a Dec flip-chip pulse amplifier to a
speaker on top of the cabinet.  There were several large decks of music
floating around for it.  And I'm sure the RF would work too (it did on
my TRS-80 Mod 1 - you also could watch it's screen on the TV next to it!)

     //	Randell Jesup			      Lunge Software Development
    //	Dedicated Amiga Programmer            13 Frear Ave, Troy, NY 12180
 \\//	beowulf!lunge!jesup@steinmetz.UUCP    (518) 272-2942
  \/    (uunet!steinmetz!beowulf!lunge!jesup) BIX: rjesup

(-: The Few, The Proud, The Architects of the RPM40 40MIPS CMOS Micro :-)

die@frog.UUCP (Dave Emery) (04/02/88)

In article <1503@vaxb.calgary.UUCP> radford@calgary.UUCP (Radford Neal) writes:

>I have a vague recollection back from when I was a first-year student
>(1974) of someone demonstrating a program for the PDP-8 that played a quite
>good rendition of some piece of music on a radio placed beside the
>CPU. In retrospect, this seems moderately unlikely, though not impossible.
>Does anyone know whether such a program existed? Whether it was feasible?
>I believe the machine had core memory, would that have helped?
>
>   Radford Neal

	I remember such a program circulating around Genrad (where I then
worked) in mid 1973.  It played polyphonic Bach (? it has been years)
that ran on for several minutes on an AM radio placed near a PDP-8e.
I beleive it ran in 4 or 8K of (core) memory. It was loaded from paper tape
and not that big.

	We disassembled it (we didn't have the source) and someone figured
out how to enter our own music.  I beleive it basically consisted of
cleverly constructed nested counting loops, but that was 15 years ago
and I do not recollect the details.

	I can confirm that such a program did exist however.

----
David I. Emery
Charles River Data Systems
983 Concord St.
Framingham, MA 01701
Tel: (617) 626-1102
uucp: ...!decvax!frog!die

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (04/02/88)

In article <583@auvax.UUCP> rwa@auvax.UUCP (Ross Alexander) writes:

| better encoding and also more than one voice; three voices is doable
| but tricky.  You can also do a light show in the accumulator display
| while you're at it - this is really impressive.

  When I let people visit my office at home, they are not impressed by
the MS-DOS machine with fancy graphics, nor the UNIX box with 2-4 remote
user, they are blown away by my first (home) computer, a "war games"
model IMSAI, with hundreds of blinking lights and switches (I have LEDs
on the bankselected memory cards, too).
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

curry@nsc.nsc.com (Ray Curry) (04/02/88)

>I have a vague recollection back from when I was a first-year student
>(1974) of someone demonstrating a program for the PDP-8 that played a quite
>good rendition of some piece of music on a radio placed beside the
>CPU.

I'll tell you how old I am.  When I started college, they were ripping out the
vacuum tube IBM 7xx.  The little computer (1620 I think) that was used to input
programs to the IBM had a combination of core and relays that would produce
audible sound without the external radio.  Lots of programs existed around the
lab that would produce a variety of music when run.

billc@prism.TMC.COM (04/02/88)

-
-I have a vague recollection back from when I was a first-year student
-(1974) of someone demonstrating a program for the PDP-8 that played a quite
-good rendition of some piece of music on a radio placed beside the
-CPU. In retrospect, this seems moderately unlikely, though not impossible.
-Does anyone know whether such a program existed? Whether it was feasible?
-I believe the machine had core memory, would that have helped?
-
-If it existed, it must have been some hack... I recall the music lasting
-at least 10 seconds, good enough to require 6K samples/second minimum, say
-6 bits per sample, doesn't look like it fits in 4K 12-bit words... Maybe
-I was duped... Then again, the machine did have a disk...
-
	I don't doubt that someone programmed that. When I first got
	into computers, there was a little kit computer called the
	Altair 8800 (I think) that ran an 8080 processor (This was 1975
	or so.)  I heard the thing play "Daisy" through an ordinary AM
	radio, by running a relatively short assembly language program.

	I beleive that the way it worked is that some fairly standard
	instruction gave out a strong RF pulse.  The program consisted
	of nested loops of proper lengths and some simple controls to
	make the pulses come out as desired so that the radio could pick
	it up.

Bill Callahan	voice: 617-661-0777, ext. 149
Mirror Systems	2067 Massachusetts Avenue  Cambridge, MA, 02140
	billc@mirror.TMC.COM
        UUCP   :  {mit-eddie, pyramid, wjh12, cca, datacube}!mirror!billc

kolding@ji.Berkeley.EDU (Eric Koldinger) (04/02/88)

In article <1503@vaxb.calgary.UUCP> radford@calgary.UUCP (Radford Neal) writes:

>I have a vague recollection back from when I was a first-year student
>(1974) of someone demonstrating a program for the PDP-8 that played a quite
>good rendition of some piece of music on a radio placed beside the
>CPU. In retrospect, this seems moderately unlikely, though not impossible.
>Does anyone know whether such a program existed? Whether it was feasible?
>I believe the machine had core memory, would that have helped?

I definitely heard a machine play music on a radio once.  It was an IBM
machine, probably a S/370 of some sort (Ok, so I'm not even sure it was
IBM, but it was blue).  It was back in the mid- to late-70's.  I was given
a tour of a computer center, got to type my name on a punch card and get
it printed out, and got to hear a computer broadcast a piece of classical
music.  Wish I could remember the piece.........

		_   /|				Eric
		\`o_O'				kolding@ji.berkeley.edu
  		  ( )     "Gag Ack Barf"	{....}!ucbvax!ji!kolding

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (04/03/88)

In article <5029@nsc.nsc.com> curry@nsc.UUCP (Ray Curry) writes:
>I'll tell you how old I am.  When I started college, they were ripping out the
>vacuum tube IBM 7xx.  The little computer (1620 I think) that was used to input
>programs to the IBM had a combination of core and relays that would produce
>audible sound without the external radio.  Lots of programs existed around the
>lab that would produce a variety of music when run.

My three fave computer noise stories:

I.  The line printers used with some earlier IBM systems had (as many
 still do) bands of type which continuously rotated, with hammers that
 were fired when the appropriate letter came by.  By selecting the output
 carefully, you could get the hammers to fire at a fixed frequency, and
 by varying the output you could change this frequency.  The story goes
 that someone programmed the thing to play the Star Spangled Banner,
 with the added fillip that on the "Rockets' Red Glare" passage, all of
 the doors to the automatic tape drives would flip open.

II.  Processor Technology's SOL computer had a Star Trek game which,
 if you put an AM radio next to the CPU, would generate the appropriate
 sound effects for the game - phasers firing, klaxons wailing, etc.

III.  A computer used in the navigation center for a Polaris sub, with
 an amplifier/speaker connected to the high order bit of its accumulator
 and appropriate software for generating tones, won the ship's talent
 contest for its rendition of "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head".

Number one may be apocryphal, but sounds reasonable.  Numbers two and
three are definitely real.

--
Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate

neighorn@qiclab.UUCP (Steve Neighorn) (04/03/88)

In article <769@kaos.UUCP> romkey@kaos.UUCP (John Romkey) writes:
>The Radio Shack TRS-80 Model 1 (a personal computer before PC meant
>IBM) put out enough RF interference that it became popular among
>TRS-80 hackers to put a small radio next to the machine to listen to
>what it was doing. Some people tried to program them to play music
>this way...
>--
>			- john romkey

Indeed, the Radio Shack Model 1 (bless that little old Z80) became a
popular alternative to commercial radio (and no wonder these days!)
through the use of custom jukebox programs. Several people got together
and wrote out a complete translation table that could be used to derive
musical notes from the Model 1's built-in BASIC statements. It was then
relatively easy to 'program' sheet music on the machine.

We were all quite proud of ourselves until we discovered some other
locals had done the same thing with their pdp-11's... And to add
insult to injury, their computer music was in 3-part harmony!
--
Steven C. Neighorn            !tektronix!{psu-cs,reed,ogcvax}!qiclab!neighorn
Portland Public Schools      "Where we train young Star Fighters to defend the

littauer@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Tom Littauer) (04/04/88)

In article <850@gethen.UUCP> farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) writes:

>My three fave computer noise stories:
>
>I.  The line printers used with some earlier IBM systems had (as many
> still do) bands of type which continuously rotated, with hammers that
> were fired when the appropriate letter came by.  By selecting the output
> carefully, you could get the hammers to fire at a fixed frequency, and
> by varying the output you could change this frequency.  The story goes
> that someone programmed the thing to play the Star Spangled Banner,
> with the added fillip that on the "Rockets' Red Glare" passage, all of
> the doors to the automatic tape drives would flip open.
>
> ... deleted for brevity ...
>
>Number one may be apocryphal, but sounds reasonable.

Back in days of yore, I had a copy of a preogram which would do the above
trick (minus the tape door geewhiz) for an arbitrary melody. Same for
the radio trick.

Just goes to show that there've been personal computers for years (at
least after midnight...)

--
UUCP:  littauer@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,ames,uunet,cbosgd}!amdahl!littauer

I'll tell you when I'm giving you the party line. The rest of the time
it's my very own ravings (accept no substitutes).

lisper-bjorn@CS.YALE.EDU (Bjorn Lisper) (04/04/88)

In article <850@gethen.UUCP> farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) writes:
>My three fave computer noise stories:
>
>I.  The line printers used with some earlier IBM systems had (as many
> still do) bands of type which continuously rotated, with hammers that
> were fired when the appropriate letter came by.  By selecting the output
> carefully, you could get the hammers to fire at a fixed frequency, and
> by varying the output you could change this frequency.  The story goes
> that someone programmed the thing to play the Star Spangled Banner,
> with the added fillip that on the "Rockets' Red Glare" passage, all of
> the doors to the automatic tape drives would flip open.
[II, III deleted]
>Number one may be apocryphal, but sounds reasonable.  Numbers two and
>three are definitely real.

I believe in it. When I became an undergrad in Stockholm in 1975 somebody at
the physics lab told me that they had a program on some machine that could
play music on a line printer by printing the proper characters at the right
time. (I think the melody was "Gotlandsk sommarnatt", by the way.) I never
heard it perform myself, though, so I can't guarantee the correctness of
this story.

This kind of art is definitely becoming extinct with the introduction of
laser printers....

Bjorn Lisper

mrspock@hubcap.UUCP (Steve Benz) (04/05/88)

 In article <1503@vaxb.calgary.UUCP> radford@calgary.UUCP (Radford Neal) writes:
>I have a vague recollection back from when I was a first-year student
>(1974) of someone demonstrating a program for the PDP-8 that played a quite
>good rendition of some piece of music on a radio placed beside the
>CPU. In retrospect, this seems moderately unlikely, though not impossible.

 Actually, you don't even need anything as high-tech as a PDP-8 to
do this stunt.  As I remember, there was an article for the
Timex-Sinclair 1000, or potentially one of the earlier names for it, which
could play actual notes on AM radio by putting the two wires of the
antenna underneath the machine.  You could produce different notes
by putting the machine into infinite loops at various points in memory,
i.e:
	ORG	X
Y	BRA	Y

 The frequency of the note was proportional to X.

				Steve

kds@naucse.UUCP (Kevin Strietzel) (04/05/88)

In article <850@gethen.UUCP>, farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) writes:
>In article <5029@nsc.nsc.com> curry@nsc.UUCP (Ray Curry) writes:
>>I'll tell you how old I am.  When I started college, they were ripping out the
>>vacuum tube IBM 7xx.
>My three fave computer noise stories:
>I.  The line printers used with some earlier IBM systems had (as many
>still do) bands of type which continuously rotated, with hammers that
>were fired when the appropriate letter came by.  By selecting the output
>carefully, you could get the hammers to fire at a fixed frequency, and
>by varying the output you could change this frequency.

I think this was done.  I remember hearing about it a *long* time ago from a
reliable source.  Knowing him, he'd probably tried it.

More recently I tried this on an old Oki 82 matrix printer.  It wasn't very
successful, but got some interesting results.  It was hard to find particular
characters that fired the print wires at the right frequency!

And yes, chain, train and band printers are still made by lots of companies.
The fastest I remember hearing about is 2200 lines/minute.

| Kevin (So What If I'm Just a Student) Strietzel			       |
| {... | allegra | ihnp4 | ...}!arizona!naucse!kds		               |
| "It's easy to pass the buck - especially to someone who wants it!"  -- me    |

chuckh@apex.UUCP (Chuck Huffington) (04/06/88)

In article <850@gethen.UUCP>, farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) writes:
> In article <5029@nsc.nsc.com> curry@nsc.UUCP (Ray Curry) writes:
> >I'll tell you how old I am.  When I started college, they were ripping out the
> >vacuum tube IBM 7xx.  The little computer (1620 I think) that was used to input
> >programs to the IBM had a combination of core and relays that would produce
> gethen!farren@lll-winken.llnl.gov ----- Tom Reingold, from alt.flame

	The tape drives used with IBM 70x machines as well as the later
drives for the 709x systems used a pair of prolay's to control tape motion.
They were an electromechanical device that pushed the tape against a
rotating capstan or a fixed capstan to stop.  They were very noisy.
There was a program that intitiated tape ops and aborted them at appropriate
rates to produce music.  It worked but it tended to wear out tape and if
run too long, knocked the drives out of adjustment.

	The story about music from line printers is also true.

Chuck Huffington
Apex Computer Company

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (04/06/88)

My first attempt to make music on a printer was not very sucessful,
although I did find out that (a) if I fired all of the hammers on the
line at once it made a GREAT noise, (b) that if I did it three times
quickly the capacitors on the P/S would discharge blowing the P/S fuse
try to recharge, and (c) the fuse is in a BITCH of a position.

Also from the mid 60's:

  We had Potter "mil spec" tape drives, so called because they could be
serviced from the front and set flush on a wall. These had weak door
latches and bad mub mounting systems. If a full length tape was rewound,
and the hub brakes were tight, the door and the hub would both release.

  One of our operators noticed this about to happen while visitors were
in the computer room, and stood by the drive, caught the tape as it flew
off, pulled the ring, put on the strap, and walked away. This was before
self loading (much unloading) tapes. Another time it happened with a
lesser operator on duty, and the reel hit the floor at many rpm and
rolled the length of the room. Fortunately the tape is being wound on
and didn't get spilled.

  Our GE 4020 (industrial control system) has an optical paper tape
reader. It was very fast, and the operators had a great deal of trouble
with the tapes breaking. They got into the habit of stringing the tape
in a 30 foot "fan fold" on the floor before starting the reader. The
tape landed about 8-10 feet away on the other side.

  Some people wanted to use mylar tape, but the operators were very
careful when this was done. A mylar ribbon at ten feet/sec is a very
good meat saw.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

mef@aplvax.jhuapl.edu (Martin E. Fraeman) (04/06/88)

A good friend of mine (John Spies) who went to Northwestern worked on a
PDP-8I his freshman year (1969-70).  He used the IOT instruction
to generate RF.  The IOT would cause the I/O bus drivers to
pulldown causing a large current pulse that dominated the stray
RF the machine was putting out.  By varying the frequency of IOT
instructions music would be picked up by an AM radio near the
machine.  The IOT loops were timed by counting instructions which
was easy on the early 8's because they weren't microcoded (RISC
strikes again -).  John eventually extended things to the point where it
would do 4 simultaneous voices.  Since he just stored note values and
durations that were interpreted on the fly, a substantial amount of
music (an entire Bach 3 part invention) could be held in the PDP-8
4kw of memory.  I believe John also eventually wrote a graphical
music editor to translate traditional notation into those tables.

Pretty astounding what some good assembly language programming
and a shoehorn can do on a clever machine.

	Marty Fraeman

	US Mail:	Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
			Johns Hopkins Road
			Laurel, Md.  20707

			301-953-5000 x8360

	Usenet:		{...allegra,seismo}!umcp-cs!aplcen!mef
	Arpanet:	mef@aplvax.jhuapl.edu

kirchner@uklirb (04/12/88)

Hello,
I can't keep quiet when all others make noise-:)

During my time at Karlsruhe University ( appr. 1972 ) i got in touch with
machines from Zuse ( the one who invented , or at least built , the
first computer ), namely a Z22 and a Z23.

On these machines main memory was a drum, rotating at 6000 rpm. The console
had light for all bits in the accu, the instruction register etc.

There was also a loudspeaker which made a pulse for each memory request.

So by listening and looking we could easily see if our programs were
in endless loops, we knew when compilations ( ALGOL60 !! ) were near
to end at specific sounds and blink sequences etc.

It was also possible to play music by writing programs which jumped
in carefull calculated sequences around the drum. I still have papertapes
with christmas songs -:)

BTW: The machine is now in our cellar, perhaps we get time and space sometimes
to build a little museum. There are other nice things too in our store.

Just to correct: the z23 was NOT the university computer of that time,
we just had fun in using it until it was dismantled. At that time the
computing center had a UNIVAC 1108 with 3 processors and we were happy
with it.

  Reinhard Kirchner
  University of Kaiserslautern
  Computer Science
  P.O.Box 3049
  D-6750 Kaiserslautern
  W-Germany

Arpa:   kirchner@uklirb@unido
  or:   kirchner%uklirb.uucp%germany.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET
CSNET:  kirchner%uklirb%uka.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
UUCP:   ..{mcvax!}unido!uklirb!kirchner

bobw@wdl1.UUCP (Robert Lee Wilson Jr.) (04/15/88)

I guess my age shows when I am surprised that playing music on a
computer is thought to be surprising! In addition to the radios
which I thought we all had used (most effective on core machines:
the fast, high current pulses could be accurately timed) the early
CDC machines had a built in console speaker. Current proportional to
the upper octal digit of the accumulator was sent through the voice
coil, and there was a volume control. In normal system operation you
got some idea of the kind of stuff going on: If there was a long
steady tone or no noise at all (i.e. the A register was not
changing) you assumed the machine was in a small tight loop, and the
system operator would take that as his cue to interrupt the program.
(Of course that was batch mode, and if your program did not get
interrupted it could wipe out your whole budget due to a programming
error!) Som of the diagnostics made use of the noises, or at least
the engineers new what noises to expect at certain times: The tape
drive diagnostic for the CDC 1604 was named Bagpipe, and sounded
like one in rhythm with the tapes sawing back and forth. By
intentionally juggling the A register you could program music or
other sounds. I had programs which composed music by the rules of
florid counterpoint, and whose output I have still heard only on the
console speaker. I had a quick console thumb-in which would let you
make race-car sounds, including braking and gear shifting, by
pushing the buttons under the A register display. At the Univ of
Wisconsin we kept a paper tape handy to play "On Wisconsin" for
visiting dignitaries. There was a rumor that CDC 3600's were shipped
out with "Oklahoma" for full chorus and orchestra in (non-volatile)
core, but since I can't imagine one coming up and running without
something trashing memory I don't know if anyone was able to test
it!
Regards,
Bob Wilson

(I don't even remember such opinions, much less attribute them to my
employer.)