[comp.arch] To R.M. Owens / Pyramid=No Risc

kirchner@uklirb (04/21/88)

Sorry to use this puplic place, but

I tried to send mail to Mr. Robert Michael Owens from Pennsylvania State Univ.,
but both addresses
psuvax1!owens@unido  ( psuvax1 not known at unido )

owens@cs.psuvax1.psu.edu  ( expanded to 'owens%cs.psuvax1.psu.edu%ira.uka.de@RELAY.CS.NET' , could not be parsed at psuvax1 )

did not work. Please give me a better uucp-path !

Now to the puplic:

In a recent note the commercial risks are listed. Among them is the Pyramid
9000. THIS IS CLEARLY NOT A RISC! (^ typical freudian misspelling ).
I have seen the instruction set ref.manual, but I am not allowed to tell
more. they want to keep their instruction set secret.

R. Kirchner, Univ. Kaiserslautern

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (04/23/88)

In article <1600003@uklirb.UUCP> kirchner@uklirb writes:
>In a recent note the commercial risks are listed. Among them is the Pyramid
>9000. THIS IS CLEARLY NOT A RISC! (^ typical freudian misspelling ).

A rather dogmatic statement, wouldn't you say? Whether or not the Pyramid 9000
is a RISC processor has been debated extensively in this newsgroup, and I just
posted a brief summary a few days ago. I've had some lively discussions with
people on both sides of the issue. If the Pyramid is "clearly" not a RISC,
then I'd think people who knew the architecture inside and out would come to
some kind of consensus. They haven't. The best observation came from John
Mashey: "The Pyramid 90x is on the RISCy side of CISC, or the CISCy side of
RISC." From Pyramid's marketing department: "...based on a few fundementals
RISC theory," and "commercial RISC," which are sufficiently ambigious to mean
anything you want. :-)

The most important issue is whether Pyramid's archictecture has contributed to
the present state of RISC theory. I'd say it has.

<csg>