[comp.arch] ARM chips

ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (05/04/88)

In article <9302@apple.Apple.Com> bcase@apple.UUCP (Brian Case) writes:
>In article <476@pcrat.UUCP> rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) writes:
>>I'm still looking for the RISC that does ~4K (C language) Dhrystones,
>>has no cache, clocks around 4 Mhz, has a 16 bit bus, can address maybe 1MB,
>>is a power miser, can't do floating point, and costs no more than $15.
>
>Oh, that's easy!  The Acorn RISC Machine (ARM).  Yes, I know it has a
>32-bit bus now, but just talk to VTI (they have the ARM and use it as a
>cell, I think):
Hmm, 2 people from Apple are talking about ARM.  Wonder if that means
anything....

OK, where would I get a similarly cheap machine to do ARM development
on?  (It should cost less than a Sun-3/60, maybe about what a Mac II costs,
and maybe somewhere in between what a '386 clone and IBM PS2/80 costs.)
It would be nice to get away with 200-250ns DRAMS, for example.
Judging from the glowing reviews in Byte, you'd think that somebody would be
hot to import some of these nifty U.K developments.  But then, whatever
happened to the Torch XXX PC, which looked like an serious Amiga 2000/Mac II
competitor if ever I saw (a review of) one.
--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.

Internet: ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412)268-{2847,3275} CMU-{BUGS,DARK}
Amateur Packet Radio: N3FGW@W2XO, or c/o W3VC, CMU Radio Club, Pittsburgh, PA

bcase@Apple.COM (Brian Case) (05/06/88)

In article <1597@pt.cs.cmu.edu> ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) writes:
>Hmm, 2 people from Apple are talking about ARM.  Wonder if that means
>anything....

If it could mean something, I wouldn't have posted about it!

>OK, where would I get a similarly cheap machine to do ARM development
>on?  (It should cost less than a Sun-3/60, maybe about what a Mac II costs,
>and maybe somewhere in between what a '386 clone and IBM PS2/80 costs.)
>It would be nice to get away with 200-250ns DRAMS, for example.
>Judging from the glowing reviews in Byte, you'd think that somebody would be
>hot to import some of these nifty U.K developments.

ACORN makes a development system (or someone does), it is cheap compared to
other development systems.  I don't think you can get away with 200ns DRAM,
besides I don't think anyone makes DRAM that slow anymore (at least in
256K-and-up desities).  The glowing reviews are justified, but the ARM still
has deficiencies that make it less than great for fully general-purpose
systems.