[comp.arch] Writable Microcode: programmable gate arrays

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (05/24/88)

For that matter, the Vax 8600 is largely a bunch of gate arrays controlled
by ECL RAM.

I suspect the biggest problem with this is that it tends not to be
cost-effective.  (How much are 8600s going for these days :-) ?)

root@sbcs.sunysb.edu (root) (05/25/88)

In article <11645@mimsy.UUCP>, chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
> For that matter, the Vax 8600 is largely a bunch of gate arrays controlled
> by ECL RAM.
>
> I suspect the biggest problem with this is that it tends not to be
> cost-effective.  (How much are 8600s going for these days :-) ?)

	Xilinc has a rather convincing cost analysis that basically
	concludes that people can cost effectively (relative to gate
	arrays) apply their parts.  Of course, the parts cost are
	really only a small component of the pricing of any electronic
	product.  I think I've read somewhere (Bell architecture book?)
	an estimate that DEC costs at around a 5:1 list:parts ratio.
	Draw your own conclusions whether it's the gate arrays that
	are the *real* cost of an 8600 :-).

> --
> In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 454 7163)
> Domain:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu	Path:	uunet!mimsy!chris

					Rick Spanbauer
					SUNY/Stony Brook