[comp.arch] Lightning Fast Photonic Optical Computers

lisper-bjorn@CS.YALE.EDU (Bjorn Lisper) (06/09/88)

In article <1933@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> garvin@uhccux.UUCP (Jay Garvin)
writes:
>How many of you have heard of photonic switching? ....

I'm not an expert but I do have some impressions of this. I'll comment below
on the points where I have something to say.

>2.  Should we really be letting photons do our computing for us?

I see no moral reasons to say no. Photons should have to work as well as
electrons. :-)

>    What are the forseeable problems with this technology?

Size. I think the size of an optical switch is in the millimeter range right
now whereas electronic switches are in the micrometer and sub-micrometer range.
This is absolutely necessary to improve if optical computing is to have any
substantial impact.

>    What types of things are promising about photonic switching besides
>      the speed?

Communication seems easier to facilitate. In electronics wiring is a
problem, long wires occupy precious area and slow down the circuit. Thus you
want to connect physically close cells only. In optics the speed of light is
the limit.  I've seen a proposal how to arrange a parallel optical computer
where the processors are in a plane. Over them is a mirror and they
communicate by sending a laser beam so that it bounces off the mirror to the
right recepient.  In this communication scheme all processors are equally
close w.r.t. communication regardless of physical proximity.

Optical computers will be more resistant to electrical disturbances such as
static electricity, solar wind bursts and EMP. This is by the way the reason
fibre optics is used today for computer communication in electrically noisy
environments such as factories.

I've heard that the same optical switch actually can switch signals carried
by light of different frequencies simultaneously. If this is true it will
open new possibilities for parallelity, where computations can take place
simultaneously not only in different processors but actually in *the same*
one.

>3.  How long before one of these things gets off the drawing board and
>      into production?

Some years ago a Californian company by the name of, I think, Guiltech, was
developing a systolic array type parallel processor with optical computing
elements. Apparently they dropped the project since nothing has been heard
since. I don't think they dropped it for technical reasons, however, but
rather since the price/performance quotient wasn't good enough.

Bjorn Lisper

johng@ecrcvax.UUCP (John Gregor) (06/21/88)

In article <1933@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> garvin@uhccux.UUCP (Jay Garvin) writes:

>How many of you have heard of photonic switching?  Everybody?...Great!
>Ok, I would like to find out what the latest research is in this area
>and who's doing it.

Well, this isn't exactly recent (1983), but I though it was interesting.

First the title of the paper:

A 100,000 gigabyte on-line storage system
Marc A. Friedlander
Advanced Technology Laboratories
8027 Leesburg Pike, Suite 700
Vienna, Virginia 22180

It appeared in a SPIE proceedings back in 83.  The proceedings title was
"Optical Mass Storage" or "Mass Storage Devices" or something to that
effect.  A keyword search should find it quickly.  Sorry, I only
photocopied the article.

I don't know SPIE's copyright policy, or I would post more. But here
is the abstract and introduction form the paper.

    ABSTRACT

    Nanosecond read, write and access times, system volumes of one
    cubic foot, and costs of 1E-8 cents per bit characterize this new
    volumetric optical technology.

    INTRODUCTION

    We report a new optical storage technology (patent pending), and
    its applications, which can provide 100,000 gigabytes of on-line
    storage with nanosecond read and write times, nanosecond access
    times, and in a volume of one cubic foot.  The high storage
    density, and consequent short access time, is accomplished by
    three dimensional storage within an unstructured bulk storage
    medium at a storage density of one cubic micron per bit using
    visible light.  The storage is effected by the photon echo
    phenomenon(1) which decisively surmounts the problems faced by
    previous volumetric optical storage approaches.  End user cost for
    production versions will be $100,000 (or 1E-8 cents per bit).  The
    Navy is examining the development of a prototype for application
    to tactical air reconnaissance.  The prototype will allow tactical
    reconnaissance imagery to be received, processed and analyzed in
    ral time as an aid to command decision making.  Ground based
    versions could be applied to the development of large, fully
    relational data bases due to the presence of inherent logic
    elements associated with each bit of the storage system.  Highly
    parallel input and output capability as well as the ability to
    store analog data make it feasible to use the system as an
    efficient interface point between analog and digital optical
    information processing systems.

    1. I.D. Abella, N.A. Kurnit and S.R. Hartmann, Phys. Rev. 141,
       391 (1966)

Now I have some questions:

Q. Anybody know if this thing got built?
Q. Is the idea a flop or is it currently classified?
Q. Is the company still around?
Q. Anybody with access to some nifty bibliographic search facilities
   want to tell me if this guy (or his company) has published anything
   more recently or with more substance?  What papers have referenced
   this one?  And, what are some other good references for optical
   memory?
Q. What's state of the art?
Q. How long until we won't have to worry about dram prices any more
   :-)?
Q. Can we expect the Cray III (IV?, V?) to have 20cc of optical memory
   and occupy less space than a pee-cee?

Comments from those more knowledgeable than me (not hard) are
welcome.

>7.  Anybody know of some *good* references/journal articles in the area?
>      SPIE?

SPIE is about the best I've seen.  They are VERY prolific though.
They have put out a few hundred proceedings since '82.  They cover
any field that ever interacts with a photon; from synthetic aperature
optics to user intefaces to computer architecture etc.

Q. Anybody know what a yearly subscription would cost?

Thanks for any and all information.

--

John Gregor                                       johng%ecrcvax.UUCP@pyramid.COM