[comp.arch] Why no disks with two HDAs ?

kirchner@uklirb.UUCP (Reinhard Kirchner) (06/16/88)

Hello,
recently I once again learned about IBM disk drives which have two
head-mechanisms ( Head-Disk-Assemblies , HDA ) per spindle.
They have several drives of this kind, including the big 3380.

Now:
- why doesn't anybody else produce drives with two HDAs ?
  ( or does somebody whom I do not know ?, and then why ? )
. Is it not worth the effort, patented by IBM, or what is the reason ?

R. Kirchner

root@didsgn.UUCP (didsgn) (06/18/88)

In article <2351@uklirb.UUCP>, kirchner@uklirb.UUCP (Reinhard Kirchner) writes:

> Hello,
> recently I once again learned about IBM disk drives which have two
> head-mechanisms ( Head-Disk-Assemblies , HDA ) per spindle.
> They have several drives of this kind, including the big 3380.
>
> Now:
> - why doesn't anybody else produce drives with two HDAs ?
>   ( or does somebody whom I do not know ?, and then why ? )
> . Is it not worth the effort, patented by IBM, or what is the reason ?
>
> R. Kirchner

A few other manufacturer are selling drives with two HDAs. Here is a few:

	AMPEX is (or was a few years ago) building a FIX/REMOVABLE disk
	drive with 2 HDA. One HDA is taking care of the cartrige part of the
	drive (16 Mb unf.) and another is taking care of the fix part of it
	(16 to 64 Mb unf). It is possible to activates both HDA as a single
	one or (and this depend on the interface&software driver) as 2 inde-
	-pendant ones.

	IBIS is building a parallel transfer drive know as the 1400. It trans-
	fer data at 12Mb burst/10 Mb sustain per second. It's capacity is 1.4 Gb	and it contains 2 HDA with 16 heads each. Both HDA are in sync. They are	using 2 HDAs to solve an inertia problem of 1 HDA carrying 32 heads.

Jean-Luc Chatelain
...!gatech!rebel!didsgn!jlc

Standard disclaimer applies....

cprice@mips.COM (Charlie Price) (06/20/88)

> R. Kirchner
> recently I once again learned about IBM disk drives which have two
> head-mechanisms ( Head-Disk-Assemblies , HDA ) per spindle.
> They have several drives of this kind, including the big 3380.

A head disk assembly, or HDA, is the part that *must* be replaced
when you have a head crash.  It is an assembly that contains
a spindle with the disks mounted on it, the magnetic read/write heads
mounted on a movable actuator (called a head-arm)
and (at least part of) a servo positioning system to move the head arm.

Several IBM "disk drives" are boxes with more than one HDA in them.
The earliest I'm aware of was the 3350.  This used regular old HDAs.

Two follow-on big disks were the 3370 and 3380.
In addition to having two HDAs, they took the step of having
two separate actuators (head arms) inside each HDA.
These two arms don't share any tracks,
they each access half of the disk surfaces on the HDA.
[Having two independent heads over the same track isn't cost effective.]
These actuators are positioned independently and there are independent
read/write paths to each head arm.  You can read or write on the
separate head arms independently.  The servo is fairly fast
and the data transfer rate is 3 MBytes/sec.

The IBM HDA is *huge*.  The head arms are located on opposite sides
of the vertically-mounted HDA (the disks are vertical).
It reminds me, for some reason, of a Volkswagen engine.

> - why doesn't anybody else produce drives with two HDAs ?
  > ( or does somebody whom I do not know ?, and then why ? )
> . Is it not worth the effort, patented by IBM, or what is the reason ?

Several IBM plug-compatible manufacturers produce drives that
are functionally compatible with the IBM drives.
I worked for Storage Technology Corp (also StorageTek)
for several years so I know the most about their drives.
The StorageTek versions of the HDA use the same basic geometry,
but their actuators are located side-by-side on one side
of the disk platters.
Other manufacturers do similar things.
I believe the Amdahl drives, manufactured by Fujitsu, use 4 separate
HDAs (something like the Super Eagle HDA).

Why go to all this trouble?
I don't know why IBM chose this approach, but one serious problem that
they wanted to address was the problem of having too much data being
serviced by a single head arm.  Much of what IBM mainframes do is
"data intensive" and these systems need speedy access to data.
Disks are terribly slow compared to the processors; particularly
physical positioning time.
To have fast IO you want many disks and you want to keep them
all busy.  The larger the amount of data under a given head arm,
the more likely that you will get into a situation where the
system bottleneck is access to that data.
For some reason, IBM still wanted to build physically large HDAs
with a large number of platters and a lot of data so they made
the math come out right by having two actuators.
The original 3380 had 1.25 Mbyte HDAs, the 3380E has 2.5 MByte HDAs,
and the current drives (number unknown) are 3.75 Mbyte HDAs.

The current technology really favors building the same sort
of system out of a larger number of smaller HDAs.  It isn't
clear to me that IBM's choice made technological sense.
STC built the HDA with two actuators because at the time you
couldn't sell a plug-compatible product to an IBM customer
if it wasn't very similar to the IBM offering.

Charlie Price   cprice@mips.com    {decwrl|ames}!mips!cprice
MIPS Computer Systems / 930 Arques /  Sunnyvale, CA 94087 / (408) 720-1700

mat@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Mike Taylor) (06/20/88)

In article <2440@winchester.mips.COM>, cprice@mips.COM (Charlie Price) writes:

> Two follow-on big disks were the 3370 and 3380.
> In addition to having two HDAs, they took the step of having
> two separate actuators (head arms) inside each HDA.
> For some reason, IBM still wanted to build physically large HDAs
> with a large number of platters and a lot of data so they made
> the math come out right by having two actuators.
> The current technology really favors building the same sort
> of system out of a larger number of smaller HDAs.  It isn't
> clear to me that IBM's choice made technological sense.

They probably had a manufacturing technology for the 14" platters
that they didn't want to replace.  I expect their sums said that
using old platters and developing new head technology - the thin-film
head - was the best economic choice.
--
Mike Taylor                        ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,amdcad,sun}!amdahl!mat

[ This may not reflect my opinion, let alone anyone else's.  ]

cprice@mips.COM (Charlie Price) (06/21/88)

In article <8dly9ed7S71010boqkE@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> mat@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Mike Taylor) writes:
>In article <2440@winchester.mips.COM>, cprice@mips.COM (Charlie Price) writes:
>>
>> Two follow-on big disks were the 3370 and 3380.
>> In addition to having two HDAs, they took the step of having
>> two separate actuators (head arms) inside each HDA.
>> For some reason, IBM still wanted to build physically large HDAs
>> with a large number of platters and a lot of data so they made
>> the math come out right by having two actuators.
>> The current technology really favors building the same sort
>> of system out of a larger number of smaller HDAs.  It isn't
>> clear to me that IBM's choice made technological sense.
>
>They probably had a manufacturing technology for the 14" platters
>that they didn't want to replace.  I expect their sums said that
>using old platters and developing new head technology - the thin-film
>head - was the best economic choice.
>--
>Mike Taylor                        ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,amdcad,sun}!amdahl!mat

A good thought, and perhaps that is part of it.
It turns out that they made a questionable call if that was the basis
for the decision.

I believe the 3370 uses the old industry standard 14" platters
(it has been a while) but it is a lower density product than the 3380.
Supposedly the original work on the 3380 suggested that the standard
platters might not by stable enough to get the desired track density.
The disks are 1) not perfectly flat in the first place and 2) deform some
in a real HDA when they are clamped into a fixed stack at the inner diameter,
heated up, and spun at 3600 RPM.  You can tolerate a certain amount of
"surface terrain" on a disk, but as your track density goes up the
head flying height perforce gets lower and the sensitivity to surface
variations increases.
IBM decided to go ahead with standard platters because changing to a new
kind of platter would cost a lot of money in tooling and such -- like $20Meg.
After a while, they decided they had to spend the $20Meg and thereby
slipped the delivery of these disks (like 15 months or more).
The platters they use are quite thick -- like 1/4 inch.

Perhaps they wanted to take the conservative route and this ended up
being more expensive than they expected.  On the other hand, these
new platters are probably a fair bit better for reliable high capacity
drives.  IBM certainly didn't lose money on 3380.

StorageTek was quite worried about this substrate change for a while
because they just didn't have the resources to create a whole new substrate
(STC mostly buys disks from other people, like Dysan.)
In the end, STC was able to use the standard disks and do reasonably well.
HDA reliability related to disk stability has never been a problem in
their 8380 HDAs.

Charlie Price      cprice@mips.com    {decwrl,ames}!mips!cprice

)) (06/21/88)

In article <2351@uklirb.UUCP> kirchner@uklirb.UUCP (Reinhard Kirchner) writes:

>Hello,
>recently I once again learned about IBM disk drives which have two
>head-mechanisms ( Head-Disk-Assemblies , HDA ) per spindle.
>They have several drives of this kind, including the big 3380.

>Now:
>- why doesn't anybody else produce drives with two HDAs ?
>  ( or does somebody whom I do not know ?, and then why ? )

I believe that the CDC Hydra (good name!) has four HDA's, but I could
be mistaken.  On a 27Mbyte/second channels no less.  Yipes!

>. Is it not worth the effort, patented by IBM, or what is the reason ?

The main reasons are that each additional set of heads, head
electronics and data pathways is *very* expensive, and that you don't gain
anything unless your controller and/or drivers are very intelligent, and
usually only under pretty high load.

Personally, I'd normally prefer to have twice the capacity on two separate
but overlapping seek drives than occasionally getting up to twice the
thruput on a single disk.  Mind you, a Hydra would make a nice swapping
or paging disk - almost as good as a head-per-track disk or a drum.
--
Chris Lewis, Spectrix Microsystems Inc, Phone: (416)-474-1955
UUCP: {uunet!mnetor, utcsri!utzoo, lsuc, yunexus}!spectrix!clewis

cprice@mips.COM (Charlie Price) (06/22/88)

In article <2440@winchester.mips.COM> cprice@winchester.UUCP (Charlie Price) writes:
>The original 3380 had 1.25 Mbyte HDAs, the 3380E has 2.5 MByte HDAs,
>and the current drives (number unknown) are 3.75 Mbyte HDAs.

I meant, of course, GigaBytes.

Charlie Price   cprice@mips.com    {decwrl|ames}!mips!cprice
MIPS Computer Systems / 930 Arques /  Sunnyvale, CA 94087 / (408) 720-1700

srg@quick.COM (Spencer Garrett) (06/22/88)

A big reason for not putting in two HDA's is that you would then
have to align them.  One big advantage of non-removable media
is that as long as the heads don't move (WRT one another) it
doesn't matter where they are.  You just torque them down and
format the drive.  It is possible to get around this with
embedded-servo information, but then changing heads requires a
(short) seek, which does nasty things to filesystem throughput.
(The cylinders get very small, equal to one track apiece.)
It's a shame, too, because having multiple access arms could
otherwise give you the best of both worlds (one big drive, for
allocation efficiency and flexibility, versus several drives
with the ability to seek independently).

rick@svedberg.bcm.tmc.edu (Richard H. Miller) (06/24/88)

In article <2440@winchester.mips.COM>, cprice@mips.COM (Charlie Price) writes:

> The current technology really favors building the same sort
> of system out of a larger number of smaller HDAs.  It isn't
> clear to me that IBM's choice made technological sense.
> STC built the HDA with two actuators because at the time you
> couldn't sell a plug-compatible product to an IBM customer
> if it wasn't very similar to the IBM offering.

Well, one reason could be floor space and environmental conditions. In large
mainframe shops, as you pointed out, the job is data intensive and many shops
require many gigbytes of storage. It is more economical of floor space, power
and air conditioning to have a smaller number of very large HDA's than a large
number of smaller HDA's since in many cases the drive external to the HDA would
require about the same amount of material. Another reason is architectual
limitations of the O/S (number of addresable drives on a channel, number of
channels, etc.) It is easier to modify the I/O routines to support higher
density drives, multiple arms and the like than to redesign the entire IO
complex to add additional addressing.

Richard H. Miller                 Email: rick@svedberg.bcm.tmc.edu
Head, System Support              Voice: (713)799-4511
Baylor College of Medicine        US Mail: One Baylor Plaza, 302H
                                           Houston, Texas 77030

" Maynard) (06/25/88)

In article <2451@winchester.mips.COM> cprice@winchester.UUCP (Charlie Price) writes:
>>The original 3380 had 1.25 Mbyte HDAs, the 3380E has 2.5 MByte HDAs,
>>and the current drives (number unknown) are 3.75 Mbyte HDAs.
                          ^^^^=3380K
>I meant, of course, GigaBytes.

Each HDA in a 3380 (of any series) has two actuators, each with an equal
amount of cylinders accessible. The capacity is increased by increasing
the number of cylinders: the 3380A/B/Ds have 885 cylinders of 15 tracks
of 47476 bytes each, the 3380E/Js have 1770 cylinders, and the 3380Ks
have 2655 cylinders. Each 3380 box has two HDAs, or four logical
volumes; you can hang four boxes on a string, for a total of 16 volumes
of over 30 GB per string.
(Side note: my not-too-small shop only has 17 GB total of 3350 space...)

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC...>splut!< | Never ascribe to malice that which can
uucp:       uunet!nuchat!           | adequately be explained by stupidity.