[comp.arch] IBM RISC patents

amos@taux01.UUCP (Amos Shapir) (06/28/88)

In article <58192@sun.uucp> duckass%whitney@Sun.COM (David Chenevert) writes:
>    Mr. Kuehler declined to say in what areas the company might move
>next.

Sue anyone who uses the binary number system, of course.

--
	Amos Shapir			(My other cpu is a NS32532)
National Semiconductor (Israel)

In article <785@taux01.UUCP> amos@taux01.UUCP (Amos Shapir) writes:
>In article <58192@sun.uucp> duckass%whitney@Sun.COM (David Chenevert) writes:
>>    Mr. Kuehler declined to say in what areas the company might move
>>next.
>
>Sue anyone who uses the binary number system, of course.

	No, they'll sue anyone who uses the DECIMAL number system (maybe
they'll just stick to packed decimal, though.)  :-) :-) :-)

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

khearn@pyrglass (Keith Hearn) (06/30/88)

In article <4138@cbmvax.UUCP> jesup@cbmvax.UUCP (Randell Jesup) writes:
>In article <785@taux01.UUCP> amos@taux01.UUCP (Amos Shapir) writes:
>>In article <58192@sun.uucp> duckass%whitney@Sun.COM (David Chenevert) writes:
>>>    Mr. Kuehler declined to say in what areas the company might move
>>>next.
>>
>>Sue anyone who uses the binary number system, of course.
>
>	No, they'll sue anyone who uses the DECIMAL number system (maybe
>they'll just stick to packed decimal, though.)  :-) :-) :-)

Are the rumors true that IBM holds patents on the Von Neumann machine? :-)

Keith

khearn@pyramid.pyramid.com

schuh@shorty.CS.WISC.EDU (Dan Schuh) (06/30/88)

This would be funny, but apparently not to IBM.  A gloss on the RISC patent
stuff in the SF Examiner, June 28, 1988 concludes as follows:

	IBM said Monday that its patent claims could cover a range of products.

	" We believe that anyone who is developing an information-handling
	system would probably need to use an IBM patent," the firm said.

Does anyone know what patents are being talked about here?
My impression was that most of the 801 stuff was kept under
wraps until well after the Berkeley RISC research started to
take off.  Looks like IBM is looking for productivity from
their lawyers since antitrust is no longer a problem.

Cheers, Dan (schuh@cs.wisc.edu, uwvax!schuh)

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) (06/30/88)

In article <29284@pyramid.pyramid.com> khearn@pyrglass.UUCP (Keith Hearn) writes:
>Are the rumors true that IBM holds patents on the Von Neumann machine? :-)

Well, US patents are only good for 17 years, so anything anyone
invented before 1971 is fair game.  So we probably can keep using
binary numbers and packed decimal. :-)
--
- Joe Buck  {uunet,ucbvax,pyramid,<smart-site>}!epimass.epi.com!jbuck
jbuck@epimass.epi.com	Old Arpa mailers: jbuck%epimass.epi.com@uunet.uu.net