[comp.arch] M88000 Benchhmarks

wca@oakhill.UUCP (william anderson) (07/08/88)

In message <1359@claude.oakhill.UUCP> in comp.arch, I wrote:

> We will examine the assembly output for this inner loop from two compilers,
> a commercial C compiler (which we will designate "compiler A") and a public-
> domain C compiler ("compiler B"), both of which  currently exist for the
> M88000 architecture.

My characterization of these two compilers was incorrect.  Several
folks have sent me mail correcting my assertions (thanks, one and
all, by the way).  I'd like to clarify my descriptions of compilers
A and B:

 1 - Compiler A is still in alpha-release condition.  It is still
     under development and is not *yet* a commercial product for
     the M88K.

 2 - Compiler B is *not* public-domain, but can be better characterized
     as being a free ANSI C compiler, with source code included, but
     with a restricted redistribution policy.  Ahem.  I think that we
     all know what I am talking about.

Again, thanks to all who noticed my errors.  I hope that these
mischaracterizations didn't detract from the article for anyone.

       /\        /\ 		William C. Anderson
      //\\      //\\		M88000 Design Group
     ///\\\    ///\\\		Motorola Microprocessor Division, Oak Hill, TX.