[comp.arch] Fast FP addition

mark@mips.COM (Mark G. Johnson) (07/20/88)

In article <12005@ames.arc.nasa.gov>, lamaster@ames.arc.nasa.gov
(Hugh LaMaster) writes
	$ Finally, I understand that handling the IEEE gradual underflow
	$ behavior can add an extra cycle of latency.  I also have
	$ observed that the MIPS R2010 FPA (and maybe the new R3010 also)
	$ can do a floating add in 2 (!) clock cycles.  How did they do
	$ that?

Yes, the R3010 also does IEEE 64-bit FP adds in 2 cycles.  Architecture,
logic design, and circuit design of the R3010 are covered in a recent
article in IEEE Micro:

	C. Rowen et al., "The MIPS R3010 Floating-Point Coprocessor",
	_IEEE Micro_, Vol. 8 No. 3, June 1988, pp. 53-62.

The R3010's FP add unit's speed comes from 3 areas:  (i) a hardware
"add algorithm" that's optimized toward implementation in full-custom
CMOS;  (ii) an innovative logic partitioning / design that implements
the algorithm;  (iii) highly polished CMOS layout and circuit
design.  See the acknowledgments at the end of the paper if you're
interested in knowing who was responsible for each of these areas.
--
 -- Mark Johnson
 	MIPS Computer Systems, 930 E. Arques, Sunnyvale, CA 94086

lindsay@k.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Donald Lindsay) (07/22/88)

In article <2626@quacky.mips.COM> mark@mips.COM (Mark G. Johnson) writes:
>Yes, the R3010 also does IEEE 64-bit FP adds in 2 cycles.  Architecture,
>logic design, and circuit design of the R3010 are covered in a recent
>article in IEEE Micro:
>	C. Rowen et al., "The MIPS R3010 Floating-Point Coprocessor",
>	_IEEE Micro_, Vol. 8 No. 3, June 1988, pp. 53-62.

The article says "we chose a labor-intensive, hand-optimized design
methodology". It goes on to mention 25 man-years across 16 months, and
credits about 20 people.  Only two of those people were credited for
tooling - verification tools at that. Five people were credited with
drawing.

Wouldn't a bigger tooling effort have been worth it?

--
Don		lindsay@k.gp.cs.cmu.edu    CMU Computer Science

"Imitation is not the sincerest form of flattery. Payments are."
- a British artist who died penniless before copyright law.