[comp.arch] IBM Stretch rounding modes

baum@Apple.COM (Allen J. Baum) (07/26/88)

[]
>In article <1988Jul22.162623.5353@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>Let us not forget that IBM's Stretch machine (the 7030, late 50s) had a bit
>which told the floating-point processor whether to round correctly or
>randomly.

I don't think that the "noisy" floating point mode rounded randomly. I think
it rounded in the opposite direction that the normal rounding did.

--
{decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4}!nsc!apple!baum		(408)973-3385

root@cca.ucsf.edu (Computer Center) (07/26/88)

In article <14659@apple.Apple.COM>, baum@Apple.COM (Allen J. Baum) writes:

> I don't think that the "noisy" floating point mode rounded randomly. I think
> it rounded in the opposite direction that the normal rounding did.

The "Noisy Mode" of floating point on the Stretch is described on p. 84
of the Reference Manual, 7030 Data Processing System, A22-6530-1, August
1960.

Essentially it involves using 1-bit fill instead of the 0-bit fill
usually occuring during normalization.

In addition certain operand extensions when using single precision
(48 bit mantissa) use 1-bits in extending to the intermediate (96 bit)
operand format.

Thos Sumner       (thos@cca.ucsf.edu)   BITNET:  thos@ucsfcca
(The I.G.)        (...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!thos)

OS|2 -- an Operating System for puppets.

#include <disclaimer.std>