[comp.arch] Blit

daveb@geac.UUCP (David Collier-Brown) (07/28/88)

From article <1152@ficc.UUCP>, by peter@ficc.UUCP (Peter da Silva):
|    "I agree that it's possible to break the hardware in such a way that a
|     hardware BitBlt is inherently slow.  I prefer unbroken hardware myself."

Ok, we have a disagreement, but not over self-modifying code...

peter continues:
|  I have always been uncomfortable with the idea of having your main CPU
|  throwing all those display bits around anyway... hell, given the price
|  of the 68030 it might pay Sun to stick an extra one in there to unload
|  *all* of the display management from the main CPU.

  If you will have a look at Foley & Van Dam[1], you will notice a
cycle of main cpu software -> added hardware assist -> auxiliary
special-purpose cpu -> auxiliary general-purpose cpu -> upgrading of
the auxiliary cpu to a "main" cpu and then around the circle again.

  This tends to imply that there are ***AT LEAST*** two solutions to
the cost-performance equation for graphics displays.

  Maybe we can agree to disagree? (not that this discussion wasn't
interesting and fruitful, just that its starting to sound a little
acrimonious...)

--dave c-b
[1] A computer graphics textbook, currently setting on my shelf at
    home. Eggs expected any day now.
--
 David Collier-Brown.  {mnetor yunexus utgpu}!geac!daveb
 Geac Computers Ltd.,  |  Computer science loses its

jkrueger@daitc.ARPA (Jonathan Krueger) (08/03/88)

In article <3089@geac.UUCP> daveb@geac.UUCP (David Collier-Brown) writes:
>  If you will have a look at Foley & Van Dam[1], you will notice a
>cycle of main cpu software -> added hardware assist -> auxiliary
>special-purpose cpu -> auxiliary general-purpose cpu -> upgrading of
>the auxiliary cpu to a "main" cpu and then around the circle again.

Also noted in Bell, Mudge, & McNamara, "Computer Engineering: A DEC
view of hardware systems design", Digital Press: 1978, page 201:

	"An observation that display and other specialized processors
	evolve in a fashion called the `wheel of reincarnation'"

Which observation they attribute to Myer and Sutherland, "On the
Design of Display Processors",  Communications of the ACM,
11(6):410-414, June 1968.

How to divide up the work between general (central) and special
purpose hardware?  Depends on relative costs of computation versus
communication.  68020's made computation cheaper.  Blitters made
communications cheaper.  And all tradeoffs depend on where you are on
the wheel of reincarnation.  Ready for another spin, anyone?

--
Jonathan Krueger  uunet!daitc!jkrueger  jkrueger@daitc.arpa  (703) 998-4777

Inspected by: No. 15