[comp.arch] Distributed processing

erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) (08/03/88)

In article <2379@sugar.uu.net>, karl@sugar.uu.net (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:

> I don't know at what point this becomes weirding out.  Isn't it OK to have a
> dedicated processor on the multiport serial I/O boards?  Isn't it OK to have
> microprocessors in the disk controllers?  ...in a graphics terminal?  So why

Hey.  The CBM 1541 has a 6510 in it...  Two 1541s, with a special
program, can copy a 1541 SS disk in under 21 seconds.  There's something
to be said for having a CPU, ROM and RAM in your floppy controller.

Of course, CBM had to go and put a serial link between the C64 and
the 1541, thus destroying any beneifts gained by having a smart
floppy drive. :-(
--
Motorola Skates on Intel's Head!
J. Eric Townsend ->uunet!nuchat!flatline!erict smail:511Parker#2,Hstn,Tx,77007