[comp.arch] THIS NEWSGROUP NEEDS SPLITTING. No, just cleaned up

mash@mips.COM (John Mashey) (08/07/88)

In article <43@cybaswan.UUCP> eeartym@cybaswan.UUCP (Dr R.Artym eleceng ) writes:
>Comp.arch has got out of hand, I think.  Is there any support for splitting
>it into 4 or 5 topical subgroups representing the bulk of traffic over the
>last few months?  The present flat structure was OK a year or so back, but
>the great increase in traffic makes it quite unwieldy now.

Actually, what it needs is to get out of the summer doldrums.  It isn't
so much the volume, as that much of the discussion has gotten a bit
repetitive, and strayed away from computer architecture issues.

Suggestion: please read the TOCS that just came out.  I've only had a
chance to read two of the articles, but they were definitely interesting.
One is an article on the Stanford MIPS chip, with a lot of instruction-set
usage; the other is an article on why the 432 was slow, and perhaps did not
have to be quite so.  Betweeen the two, there are plenty of points to
stir up discussion on meaty issues.
UUCP: 	{ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!mash  OR  mash@mips.com
DDD:  	408-991-0253 or 408-720-1700, x253