[comp.arch] Dynamic RAM internals

oconnor@nuke.steinmetz (Dennis M. O'Connor) (08/10/88)

An article by ward@cfa.harvard.EDU (Steve Ward) says:
] In article <>, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
] > In article <> mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
] > >... in core memories a read destroyed the contents of the cores,
] > >so every read had to be followed by a write)...
] >
] > Dynamic RAMs are the same way, actually, although many people aren't aware
] > of this because the chips hide most of the ugly details.  [...]
]
] actually, this is not correct.

actually, Henry Spencer is absolutely correct. Obviously, you
weren't aware of it because the chips hide the ugly details. :-)

] Dynamic RAM does not have destructive readout.  In fact, the DRAM is
] refreshed with a read-only cycle in typical applications.  DRAM's do
] have special timing and refresh considerations, though.

A write cycle also refreshes one row of the DRAM array. But changes one
of the bits. So writes aren't generally used for refresh-only cycles. :-)

] A DRAM is made up of one or more circular, dynamic shift registers with
] read/write/address logic.  [...]

This is dead wrong. DRAMs are made up of one or more arrays of
one-capacitor-one-transistor cells. On a read ( and before a write,
as well ), activating a word line cause one row of these cells to
turn on their transistors, dumping their charges, DESTRUCTIVELY, onto
the sense lines. Whatever else may happen, this data is later-in-the-cycle
written back onto the sense lines, with the word line still active,
recharging the caps. ( I think on some designs the data is actually
INVERTED when re-written, and one bit per word is kept around to
keep track of wether the bits are in true or complement form. )

Now bubble memories ARE shift-register based. That's why they have
"average latency" specs. Ya gotta wait for the bit to shift around.

] <DON THE ASBESTOS CLOTHING  :-) fire away

No need for flames, you're just misinformed. DRAMs are not
shift-register based storage. Period. ( Now, Video DRAMs do
contain a shift register for shifting out a selected word,
but it is NOT the primary data storage mechanism. So I digress. )
--
 Dennis O'Connor   oconnor%sungod@steinmetz.UUCP  ARPA: OCONNORDM@ge-crd.arpa
    "Never confuse USENET with something that matters, like PIZZA."

phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) (08/11/88)

In article <11815@steinmetz.ge.com> oconnor%sungod@steinmetz.UUCP writes:
>( Now, Video DRAMs do
>contain a shift register for shifting out a selected word,
>but it is NOT the primary data storage mechanism. So I digress. )

Actually, there are many video DRAMs which implement the so called
shift register as a little piece of fast static RAM addressed by a
counter.  How fast? A Toshibia megabit VRAM accesses in 25 nS. Part of
that is the counter working so the RAM itself must be maybe 15-20 nS.

With regard to the question of how DRAMs work, Mr Ward is so wrong I
can't believe it. But I wonder how the new-fangled "DRAMS" with static
column access or extended page mode work. Do they actually discharge
the capacitor and write it back with each page access? In 50 nS?

--

I speak for myself, not the company.
Phil Ngai, {ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!phil or phil@amd.com