[comp.arch] Dynamic RAMs

pardo@june.cs.washington.edu (David Keppel) (08/10/88)

ward@cfa.harvard.EDU (Steve Ward) writes:
>[ No they don't, they're just shift registers ]

This flies in the face of what I was told in digital design.  If
anybody knows differently, please tell me (e-mail) and I'll summarize.
Here's what I remember of what I was told:

A dynamic RAM is created by making lots of "wells" in the substrate
(say, p-type silicon) and filling the wells with another (n-type)
silicon.  The substrate is, say, grounded, so there is a (small)
capacitive effect between the well and the fill.

Each capacitor is tied to the gate of a transistor, so that when you
put current in the collector, current will come out the emitter if and
only if the capacitor was charged.  In the actual construction of the
DRAM, the capacitor is actually part of the transistor.

The DRAM is organized as an array of transistors, say 256 x 256.  Each
collector is tied to one of 256 "row" wires, so each "row" wire is is
connected to 256 transistors.  Each collector is tied to one of 256
"column" wires.  Each column wire is tied to 256 transistors, and NONE
of the transistors on a column wire share a row wire.

The row wires are connected to a demultiplexer taking 8 bits in and
turning on exactly one of the 256 row wires.  Each column wire is
connected to an amplifier.  The amplifier is unusual, in that at the
begining of a read cycle it is initially set to be unstable, niether
on nor off, but half-way in-between (e.g., 2.5 volts on a 0/+5v
supply).  When one of the row wires is turned on, 256 transistors, one
on each column-wire, can potentially conduct; those that have their
gates connected to charged transistors *do* conduct, and drive the
unstable amplifier high.  Those that have their gates discharged don't
conduct, and a pull-down resistor on the column wire pulls the
amplifier low.

The only trick in this is that the capacitor, if it was charged
initially, has since been discharged as it provided current for the
transistor to conduct.  The on/off-ness of the particular row has
moved out of the capacitors and in to the amplifiers.  The amplifiers
(which are driving multiplexers and other amplifiers that drive the
data lines) *also* drive the column wires.  Since the capacitor is
actually part of the transistor, the voltage appearing on the column
wire will recharge the capacitor.

At least that's what mom told me.

      ;-D on  ( Manhattanizing the computer architecture skyline )  Pardo
--

		    pardo@cs.washington.edu
    {rutgers,cornell,ucsd,ubc-cs,tektronix}!uw-beaver!june!pardo

ward@cfa.harvard.EDU (Steve Ward) (08/11/88)

In article <5460@june.cs.washington.edu>, pardo@june.cs.washington.edu (David Keppel) writes:
> >henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
> >>[ So do DRAMs ]
> ward@cfa.harvard.EDU (Steve Ward) writes:
> >[ No they don't, they're just shift registers ]
>

> Each capacitor is tied to the gate of a transistor, so that when you
> put current in the collector, current will come out the emitter if and
> only if the capacitor was charged.  In the actual construction of the
> DRAM, the capacitor is actually part of the transistor.
>

> The only trick in this is that the capacitor, if it was charged
> initially, has since been discharged as it provided current for the
> transistor to conduct.  The on/off-ness of the particular row has
> moved out of the capacitors and in to the amplifiers.  The amplifiers
> (which are driving multiplexers and other amplifiers that drive the
> data lines) *also* drive the column wires.  Since the capacitor is
> actually part of the transistor, the voltage appearing on the column
> wire will recharge the capacitor.
>
>     {rutgers,cornell,ucsd,ubc-cs,tektronix}!uw-beaver!june!pardo

Well folks, it looks like the DRAM memory cell content is essentially
destroyed by readout, though by design it looks like rewrite/refresh
is inherent in reading.  I guess the amplifiers have a sample/hold
or similar capability as the data can be held on the bus for a variable
period of time, which I speculate is well beyond the gate capacitor
discharge time.  The similarities are quite evident between the
old magnetic core sense/restore circuit and the above DRAM
description.

Now that I know all about DRAM's, will somebody give me some?  :-)

(only 256K and 1M denominations accepted!)

Steve Ward
ward@cfa

mangler@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Don Speck) (08/11/88)

In article <5460@june.cs.washington.edu>, pardo@june.cs.washington.edu (David Keppel) writes:
> Each capacitor is tied to the gate of a transistor, so that when you
> put current in the collector, current will come out the emitter if and
> only if the capacitor was charged.  In the actual construction of the
> DRAM, the capacitor is actually part of the transistor.

Although I think that Fairchild actually made a 4K dRAM in I^2 L
(Integrated Injection Logic) in the late 1970's, bipolar transistors
make leaky switches.  MOSFETS are the rule, and the capacitor is a
MOS capacitor.	MOSFETS isolate so well that the dominant leakage
is through parasitic reverse-biased diodes, not the transistors.

The first dRAM, the Intel 1103 (1K bits) circa 1971, used one MOSFET
to place charge onto the gate of an output transistor, and a third
transistor for read select.  Writing was 32 bits at a time; to write
one bit was a read-modify-write affair, like magnetic core.

The 3-transistor dRAM cell was abandoned when the 1-transistor cell was
invented at IBM in the early 1970's, although the Mead & Conway VLSI
text in 1978 re-popularized it among academics.  It "looks digital"
but is actually plagued with analog problems.

The 1-transistor cell, used in the 4K through 4M chips, stores charge
under the gate of a MOS capacitor (typically with a very thin dielectric)
and dumps it onto a bit line.  The final state of the bit line will
vary by a few tenths of a volt depending on what was stored.  Meanwhile,
a reference cell sets an identical bit line to an intermediate value.
A 2-transistor positive-feedback differential amplifier (its outputs
cross-coupled to its inputs) pulls down on whichever input has lower
voltage.  The amplifier must be powered down while its inputs are being
set up, and turned on slowly.  Then the higher-voltage input is pulled up,
typically with a similar amplifier built with the complementary device.

Some of the mid-1970's 4K dRAMs used two capacitors per bit for differential
storage, instead of a reference cell.  The noise immunity is better, and
analysis is markedly easier.  The 2-transistor cell can be thought of as
a 4-transistor cell with the differential pair shared among many cells.
Static RAMs go through the same kind of read regeneration on a cell-by-cell
basis that a dRAM does on a column-by-column basis.

Writing either a dRAM or sRAM is done by simply overpowering one of the
sense amplifiers, forcing the bit lines to the desired value, while the
remaining amplifiers perform a normal read/refresh.  There is no need
for read-modify-write except in the case of chips with builtin ECC.

A static-column dRAM leaves the amplifiers fully powered up until RAS
is deasserted, so that they can drive the output wires more than once.

In article <11815@steinmetz.ge.com> oconnor@nuke.steinmetz (Dennis M. O'Connor) writes:
>		       ( I think on some designs the data is actually
> INVERTED when re-written, and one bit per word is kept around to
> keep track of wether the bits are in true or complement form. )

This is only advantageous with 3-transistor cells, whose read data
is the inverse of what was written.  However, half of the cells in
a 1-transistor dRAM array read and write inverted data because they
connect to the inverting side of the differential sense amplifier.

Don Speck   speck@vlsi.caltech.edu  {amdahl,ames!elroy}!cit-vax!speck