[comp.arch] Split I and D caches and IBM lawyers

dre%ember@Sun.COM (David Emberson) (08/02/88)

Now that IBM has supposedly "invented" Harvard architecture with cache
memories, I think it would be interesting to try to list machines that used
this "new" technique prior to IBM's lawyers laying claim to it.  I know that
I worked on designs at Prime that had separate I and D caches as early as
1978.  But none of these made it out of the lab, at least that I am aware of.

How about the MC88000?  Would it be a violation of IBM's "patent" to use one
88100 with *two* 88200s?  I haven't seen the patent itself.  Does anyone know
what the patent claims are?

If ever there was a case which proved the need for more vigilance on the part
of the patent office and the legal profession, this is it.  Unfortunately,
abuse of the patent laws by big companies like IBM and the unfortunate legal-
ization of the patenting of algorithms is going to have the effect of destroy-
ing opportunities for small startup companies in the high technology sector.

What investor would put even a small amount of seed capital into a company
unless the poor entrepreneur had already gone to the expense of performing
patent searches on even the most trivial of ideas to prove that the investment
was safe?  What garage entrepreneur can afford the $50K charged by your average
shyster for EACH patent search?

For the record, I do not speak for Sun Microsystems on this issue and I do not
know anything other than what I have read in the press about the letter Sun
received from IBM.  McNealy says that we are not in violation of any of the
patents, and I will take him at his word.  At least he has integrity, unlike
IBM.  It seems to me that they feel threatened by new, better technology and
want to buy time by turning loose their dogs, er, lawyers.  Every scientist
and engineer in this country should be appalled by their behaviour.  Common
subexpression elimination?  Gimme a break!  Single cycle mask and rotate
instructions?  Come on!  Where will this end?

We need a patent system that 1) prevents trivial claims, 2) is inexpensive,
and 3) provides protection for small companies and entrepreneurs.  Abuse of the
system by greedy monopolists should be punished.

			Dave Emberson (dre@sun.com)

lamaster@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Hugh LaMaster) (08/02/88)

In article <62370@sun.uucp> dre%ember@Sun.COM (David Emberson) writes:

>Now that IBM has supposedly "invented" Harvard architecture with cache
>memories, I think it would be interesting to try to list machines that used
>this "new" technique prior to IBM's lawyers laying claim to it.  I know that
>I worked on designs at Prime that had separate I and D caches as early as
>1978.  But none of these made it out of the lab, at least that I am aware of.

Of course, the CDC 6600 didn't use a D-cache, but it did have an I-cache
back in 1964 that was separate from the processor-memory data path.  I
wonder if Cray patented this concept?  (The cache on the 6600 was not
quite randomly addressable, so does that make it not a cache?)

It is perfectly clear that "RISC" is not a patentable concept, but there
may be some real patents somewhere in that list.

--
  Hugh LaMaster, m/s 233-9,  UUCP ames!lamaster
  NASA Ames Research Center  ARPA lamaster@ames.arc.nasa.gov

baum@Apple.COM (Allen J. Baum) (08/03/88)

[]
>In article <62370@sun.uucp> dre%ember@Sun.COM (David Emberson) writes:
>
>Now that IBM has supposedly "invented" Harvard architecture with cache
>memories, I think it would be interesting to try to list machines that used
>this "new" technique prior to IBM's lawyers laying claim to it.

The IBM patent itself has a list of prior art, together with explanations of
the differences. You have to be very careful about reading just exactly
what they are claiming. Claim No.1 says basically: Separate I & D caches,
with tag stores, and valid bits settable under program or system control.
The relevant differences are the "settable under program control" part,
i.e. they have cache control instructions. To continue:
 Claim 2: #1+Both caches can be accessed simultaneously, but cache<->main mem.
path only allows one at a time.
 Claim 3: #1+Dirty bit, settable under program or system control (more insts.!)
 Claim 4: #3+Data cache can write back to mem, but not Icache.
 Claim 5: #4+means for changing the valid bit checks the Icache tags
 Claim 6: #5+Forward data directly to CPU on miss (as well as sending to cache)
 Claim 7: #5+Means for inhibiting the setting of the dirty bits (more insts.!)
 Claim 8: #7+2 way set assoc. with LRU bit to determine which set
 Claim 9: #8+bit is set to indicate LRU on hit or miss
 Claim 10:#9+don't update tags if hit occurs, but valid bit is off.
 Claim 11:#10+tag store is faster than data store.
 Claim 12: 2 Caches w/tag+data sections, valid bit/line, settable by sys/prog,
            >=1 dirty bit/line, settable by sys/prog, no write path from Icache
            to main mem
 Claim 13:#12+Forward data directly to CPU on miss (as well as to cache)
 Claim 14:#13+means for preventing setting of the dirty bit
 Claim 15:#14+ each cache is 2 way set assoc. w/LRU
 Claim 16:#15+don't update tags if hit occurs, but valid bit is off.

I may have missed the emphasis of the claims in paraphrasing them, but I
believe the thrust is that there is no hardware to ensure that writes to the
DCache get reflected in the Icache, and there are cache control instructions.

The disclosure lists 6 cache control instructions:
 Set Data Cache Line: write tag, but don't actually fetch data; this line will
                used for temp storage, and you don't care what prev. data was.
 Invalidate Data Cache Line: force susequent accesses to go to main mem.
 Invalidate Inst Cache Line: ditto
 Store Data Cache Line: make sure main mem has valid copy
 Load  Data Cache Line: prefetch? don't forward to CPU!
 Store & Synch. Data Cache Line: make sure main mem has valid copy, don't start
                new inst. until this completes

In summary: IBM patents are not without foundation. They are diligent about
researching prior art. The patents are strong, well written patents, and do
not make wild claims about inventing fundamental concepts (unless, of course,
they actually did, which is not an uncommon case).
--
{decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4}!nsc!apple!baum		(408)973-3385

dre%ember@Sun.COM (David Emberson) (08/03/88)

In article <15086@apple.Apple.COM>, baum@Apple.COM (Allen J. Baum) writes:

> In summary: IBM patents are not without foundation. They are diligent about
> researching prior art. The patents are strong, well written patents, and do
> not make wild claims about inventing fundamental concepts (unless, of course,
> they actually did, which is not an uncommon case).

It seems to me that in this case they patented, among other things, setting a
bit under software control.

The idea of managing the contents of a cache memory under software control
sounds like something that is a fundamental, obvious idea to me.  I have no
doubt that even this patent is well written.  IBM has the money to afford the
best legal talent in the country.  But the garage entrepreneurs don't, and
that is my major point.  The present system stifles innovation and works to
the benefit of the largest, most powerful, richest companies.  The patent
system was intended to protect inventors, not monopolies.

oconnor@nuke.steinmetz (Dennis M. O'Connor) (08/03/88)

I don't know when IBM filed their patent application, but
as of October 1968, the following were published "prior art"
( We at GE published them as a goverment contract final report )

An article by baum@apple.UUCP (Allen Baum) says:
] The IBM patent itself has a list of prior art, together with explanations of
] the differences. You have to be very careful about reading just exactly
] what they are claiming. Claim No.1 says basically: Separate I & D caches,
] with tag stores, and valid bits settable under program or system control.
] The relevant differences are the "settable under program control" part,
] i.e. they have cache control instructions. To continue:

The RPM40 I-Cache has cache control instructions, including loading
and storing tags and their valid bits. ( If you're going to
software manage the cache, you have to be able to save and restore
it's context, at least the part you manage, on task switches. )

]  Claim 2: #1+Both caches can be accessed simultaneously, but
]  cache<->main mem. path only allows one at a time.

This was part of a proposal GE submitted to the Government in late '86

]  Claim 4: #3+Data cache can write back to mem, but not Icache.

This was part of the final report.

]  Claim 6: #5+Forward data directly to CPU on miss as well as sending to cache

This is exactly how our I-Cache works, and is part of the October '86 report.

]  Claim 11:#10+tag store is faster than data store.

No kidding. Is this new ? It wasn't to us in October of 1986.

]  Claim 13:#12+Forward data directly to CPU on miss (as well as to cache)

Hey I've seen this claim before ! This was part of the Oct.'86 final report.

] I may have missed the emphasis of the claims in paraphrasing them, but I
] believe the thrust is that there is no hardware to ensure that writes to the
] DCache get reflected in the Icache, and there are cache control instructions.

"cache control instructions" were part of our Icache in the final report.

] In summary: IBM patents are not without foundation. They are diligent about
] researching prior art. The patents are strong, well written patents, and do
] not make wild claims about inventing fundamental concepts (unless, of course,
] they actually did, which is not an uncommon case).

"prior art" is almost impossible to be current on, in a field moving
as fast as computer architecture. The date of filing of the IBM
patents is very important. When were they filed ?

] {decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4}!nsc!apple!baum		(408)973-3385

--
 Dennis O'Connor   oconnor%sungod@steinmetz.UUCP  ARPA: OCONNORDM@ge-crd.arpa
    "Never confuse USENET with something that matters, like PIZZA."

baum@Apple.COM (Allen J. Baum) (08/04/88)

[]
>In article <62555@sun.uucp> dre%ember@Sun.COM (David Emberson) writes:
>In article <15086@apple.Apple.COM>, baum@Apple.COM (Allen J. Baum) writes:
>>
>> In summary: IBM patents are not without foundation...blah blah blah

>It seems to me that in this case they patented, among other things, setting a
>bit under software control.

You are misreading my paraphrasing. They did not patent setting a bit under
software control. They patented setting a cache-line-dirty, or cache-line-valid
bit under software control in a system with split I & D caches. There is a
world of difference in that.

>The idea of managing the contents of a cache memory under software control
>sounds like something that is a fundamental, obvious idea to me.

 Its very easy to say this with the benefit of hindsight. But, at the time
this was invented, it was neither fundamental, nor obvious. After all, no
one else had done it, and it was taught that caches were these invisible things
that sped up your program, and programmers couldn't tell they were there. All
of a sudden, someone (presumably) at IBM said "Lets turn it on its head- LET
the programmer know about the cache, and even be able to control it!" These
kinds of intuition are not obvious. They're clever, and patentable. You can
argue whether IBM was in fact the first to come up with the idea. If they
weren't, you can argue whether the particular combination of features that
they have claimed (and you have to read the patent VERY carefully to catch
exactly what they are and are not claiming), but that's about all you can argue
about (on the basis of patent law).

> I have no
>doubt that even this patent is well written.  IBM has the money to afford the
>best legal talent in the country.  But the garage entrepreneurs don't, and
>that is my major point.  The present system stifles innovation and works to
>the benefit of the largest, most powerful, richest companies.  The patent
>system was intended to protect inventors, not monopolies.

It is, unfortunately, a fact of life that big companies have more resources
that they can devote to coming up with new ways of doing things. Patent law
does not penalize big companies because they have this advantage. It does not
completely stifle innovation, or small companies, or I wouldn't be working
here! These ideas would be patentable even if a garage shop came up with them.
They are not patentable merely because a big company paid smart lawyers lots
of money to write the patent disclosure.

--
{decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4}!nsc!apple!baum		(408)973-3385

hankd@pur-ee.UUCP (Hank Dietz) (08/04/88)

In article <62555@sun.uucp>, dre%ember@Sun.COM (David Emberson) writes:
> In article <15086@apple.Apple.COM>, baum@Apple.COM (Allen J. Baum) writes:
> > In summary: IBM patents are not without foundation. They are diligent about
> > researching prior art. The patents are strong, well written patents, and do
> > not make wild claims about inventing fundamental concepts (unless, of course,
> > they actually did, which is not an uncommon case).
> The idea of managing the contents of a cache memory under software control
> sounds like something that is a fundamental, obvious idea to me.

Well, complete software control IS new, but it isn't neatly patentable and
IBM isn't doing that -- Chi-Hung Chi and I are and we've been publishing on
it for a year and a half.  Further, the crude control IBM has patented seems
to me seems SIMILAR to the control used in many machines and proposals.
However, I read IBM's patent (as summarized by Allen Baum) as claiming
specific cache control instructions:  not claiming the general, abstract,
concept of software cache control.

> The patent system was intended to protect inventors, not monopolies.

No.  The patent system was designed to protect investment in technological
development, hence encouraging development of innovative new devices.  An
invention is not supposed to be patented UNLESS you will market it -- this
is the logic behind patent-maintenance fees.

The unfortunate thing about the IBM patents is not the patents themselves,
but the PUBLIC USE OF THEM AS A SCARE TACTIC.  As far as I can tell, the
patents are really quite weak -- they protect very little and, although very
carefully written, are easily challenged or circumvented.  But who would
dare challenge IBM?  Worse still, who is large enough to survive the legal
costs of being challenged (rightly or not) by IBM?

It's just my opinion, but I think IBM stepped way over the line in saying
that these patents were to be used to "reclaim" their inventions which other
companies have stolen.  However, it's a moral line -- not a legal line --
that they've crossed.

						-hankd

mslater@cup.portal.com (08/04/88)

We have made copies of the 16 IBM patents in the the list posted by Alan Baum,
and will send a set to anyone for $35 (which basically just covers our costs).
It's a bit over 300 pages.  Not the most entertaining reading, but if you want
to understand what they claim, this is the source.  (If you do understand what
they claim, please give me a call :-).)  The fine print: add $20 if you're
outside the US and Canada; we accept MC and VISA.

Michael Slater, Editor and Publisher
Microprocesor Report, 550 California Ave., Suite 320, Palo Alto, CA 94306
415/494-2677    mslater@cup.portal.com    sun!portal!cup.portal.com!mslater

bpendlet@esunix.UUCP (Bob Pendleton) (08/04/88)

From article <62555@sun.uucp>, by dre%ember@Sun.COM (David Emberson):

> The idea of managing the contents of a cache memory under software control
> sounds like something that is a fundamental, obvious idea to me.  I have no
> doubt that even this patent is well written.

Yes, I can even remember discussing the idea in a undergraduate class.
We came to the conclusion that it wasn't a very good idea. This was 12
to 14 years ago.

> IBM has the money to afford the
> best legal talent in the country.  But the garage entrepreneurs don't, and
> that is my major point.  The present system stifles innovation and works to
> the benefit of the largest, most powerful, richest companies.

Yes, and to the benefit of small organizations and individuals with
truely new ideas.

> The patent system was intended to protect inventors, not monopolies.

This statement contradicts my basic understanding of the patent
system. As I understand it, the idea was to give the inventor a
limited monopoly on the use of a technique, plant or animal, in
exchange for releasing a complete description of the technique...

The goal is to stimulate innovation and protect society from loss
of knowledge by giving the inventors a reason to publish information they
might otherwise wish to keep as trade secrets.

It is my understanding that the patent system was intended to benefit
society by granting monopolies to inventors. I've been told, by a
patent lawyer, that the fact that patents are very difficult to
enforce has PREVENTED large investments in research because you can't
count on making any money from it.

			Bob P.
--
Bob Pendleton @ Evans & Sutherland
UUCP Address:  {decvax,ucbvax,allegra}!decwrl!esunix!bpendlet

baum@Apple.COM (Allen J. Baum) (08/05/88)

[]
>In article <11717@steinmetz.ge.com> oconnor%sungod@steinmetz.UUCP writes:
>I don't know when IBM filed their patent application, but
>as of October 1968, the following were published "prior art"
>( We at GE published them as a goverment contract final report )

I will blithely assume that 1968 is a typo for 1986....

>"prior art" is almost impossible to be current on, in a field moving
>as fast as computer architecture. The date of filing of the IBM
>patents is very important. When were they filed ?

The patent was filed in May,1982. The actual work was done prior to that,
of course, so that any prior art would have to prove that the idea came
up before it was documented in the lab notebooks at IBM, which was prior
to May, 1982.

--
{decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4}!nsc!apple!baum		(408)973-3385

fotland@hpihoah.HP.COM (Dave Fotland) (08/05/88)

IBM's RISC patents are probably based on the 801 work that happened in the
late 70's, way before the Oct 86 final report.  In the US it is the date of
invention that has priority in patents, not the date of filing.  Since IBM
disclosed some of this stuff back in the early 80's I'm sure they filed
back then also (since you only have a year from the date of disclosure in
US).

urjlew@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Rostyk Lewyckyj) (08/05/88)

Mr. Baum claims that Ppabiggness does not provide an advantage
in patenting and patents. He also seems to feel that because
IBM managed to get a patent on a precise implementation of
a perhaps common art technique,  it must have been an
innovation.
Well I disagree with thatose opinions.
Big companies have staff lawyers to put together the paperwork
to claim even small "innovations", and they do this almost as
a matter of course. A small complany ofr individual will not
often do this. First because he may think the innovation too
trivial. Second because of the expense and the knowledge that
he can not defend the patent if it is infringed.
As regards to sothe specifics of "setting the dirty cache bit
under software contorlrol in a split I and D cache machine".
Ever since there were different memory hierarchies there
have been caches. (Read a matrix in from tape, then write it
out. etc). Initially these theings were very much under an
individual proggrammers control. (eg getting Swords from backing
store on a CDC). Then some people worked very hard to try and
do this kind of fetching of data to the faster storage (cache)
automatic and transparent to the user. I have heard that IBM
specifically Dr. Blauwe (sp?) made this possible on the 360s
with the Blauwe box (ref. Computer architecture class taught
by Dr. Fred Brooks). So it is not surprising that people were
mainly thinking of caches as transparent to the programmer.
HOwever the logic to check on the validity of the cache had
to be there in a harware program. And allowing programmer
control of the dirty bit flag is simply going back to when
the programmer did it all himself. What IBM did is implement
a specific instance of something that needs to be done to make
caching work, and happened to patent it because they try to
patent everything. NOw they are trying to wield the patent
as a club.
             urjlew@ecsvax.UUCP ,  urjlew@tucc.bitnet
       or    urjlew@tucc.tucc.edu    (ARPA,SURA,NSF etc. internet)
       tel.  (919)-962-9107

In article <15129@apple.Apple.COM> baum@apple.UUCP (Allen Baum) writes:
>It is, unfortunately, a fact of life that big companies have more resources
>that they can devote to coming up with new ways of doing things. Patent law
>does not penalize big companies because they have this advantage. It does not
>completely stifle innovation, or small companies, or I wouldn't be working
>here! These ideas would be patentable even if a garage shop came up with them.
>They are not patentable merely because a big company paid smart lawyers lots
>of money to write the patent disclosure.

	Apple's success hasn't depended very much on patents.

	The way patents work nowadays does greatly benefit large companies.
It is not uncommon for an individual or small company to be granted a patent,
than have the big companies either use it without paying, or to pay their
lawyers to "break" the patent, using their much bigger resources to try to
prove the patent shouldn't have been granted.  The patent searches done
by the patent office often miss things: this causes much more grief for
individuals than big companies, since the individual assumes that since
he got the patent, it can't be taken away.

	If an individual tries to sue even medium sized companies that
have used his patent without paying, it can take 10 or more years to get
compensation, if ever.  Many people with patents have been driven into
bankruptcy trying to defend their patent (and few law firms will defend
patents on contingency).

	Of course, this isn't limited to just patents, though it may be worst
there.  Copyright law also suffers from "justice is for those with the
most money" tendency of our civil laws.  Witness the Lotus, Apple, and
a number of other cases (and those are just the most visible).

	Lets not go too deep into this, or if you want to, move discussion
to comp.misc.  The whole copyright thing has been hashed out too many
times.  Let's stick to patents, or better yet (gasp) architectures.

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

alvitar@madhat.UUCP (Phil Harbison) (08/07/88)

In article <62370@sun.uucp>, dre%ember@Sun.COM (David Emberson) writes:
>                                      ^^^
> Now that IBM has supposedly "invented" Harvard architecture with cache
> memories ...
>
> If ever there was a case which proved the need for more vigilance on the
> part of the patent office and the legal profession, this is it....
>
> Common subexpression elimination?  Gimme a break!  Single cycle mask and
> rotate instructions?  Come on!  Where will this end?
>
> We need a patent system that 1) prevents trivial claims, 2) is inexpensive,
> and 3) provides protection for small companies and entrepreneurs.

Is it  just me  or do  others see  the irony in this statement?  Here we
have  a  guy  complaining  about  IBM's ability to patent such "obvious"
things  as  separate  I&D caches, common subexpression elemination, etc.
However,  a quick glance at the authors signature line tells me he works
for  SUN  Microsystems,  the  same  company which was able to patent the
"revolutionary"  concept  of  using the least significant bits of an ad-
dress  as  the row addresses for a bank of DRAMs.  Is this not a case of
the pot calling the kettle black?

Of  course  I am referring to the patent SUN has on using the bits which
bypass  the  MMU  as  row  addresses, thereby allowing the row access to
overlap  with  the MMU translation time.  Never mind the fact that it is
convention to use the LSBs as the row address anyway, and that the over-
lap  potential  should  be  obvious to anyone skilled in digital circuit
design.   In  my  opinion, SUN is just a little IBM that just happens to
have better tastes in processors and operating systems.  :-)

By the way, this is not meant as a personal attack on Mr.  Emberson.  My
complaints  are with the SUN coorporation, not its individual employees,
who for the most part are very nice people.

----
Live: Phil Harbison
USPS: 3409 Grassfort Drive, Huntsville, AL 35805-5421
UUCP: madhat!alvitar
PSTN: 205-881-4317 or 205-830-4310x210

eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (08/10/88)

In article <8729@pur-ee.UUCP> hankd@pur-ee.UUCP (Hank Dietz) writes:

>The unfortunate thing about the IBM patents is not the patents themselves,
>but the PUBLIC USE OF THEM AS A SCARE TACTIC.

It was said during the "auto crisis:" when the new regulations come out,
Detroit hires 200 lawyers, XXX (back then it was the Japanese), hires 200
engineers.

Another gross generalization from

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "Mailers?! HA!", "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  {uunet,hplabs,ncar,decwrl,allegra,tektronix}!ames!aurora!eugene
  "Send mail, avoid follow-ups.  If enough, I'll summarize."

baum@Apple.COM (Allen J. Baum) (08/11/88)

[]
>In article <5536@ecsvax.uncecs.edu> urjlew@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Rostyk Lewyckyj) writes:
>
>Mr. Baum claims that biggness does not provide an advantage
>in patenting and patents. He also seems to feel that because
>IBM managed to get a patent on a precise implementation of
>a perhaps common art technique,  it must have been an
>innovation.

Well, I don't think it was common art, not in 1982.
>Big companies have staff lawyers to put together the paperwork
>to claim even small "innovations", and they do this almost as
>a matter of course.

IBM does not patent every innovation. Anyone who has seen the IBM Technical
Disclosure bulletin would understand that immediately. The Bulletin comes
out once or twice a month, is a couple of inches thick and full of the ideas
that they think are clever, but not worth their time to patent. They are
published so someone else can't patent them, and force IBM to pay royalties.
When I worked for HP, we did not patent every little innovation. The engineers
would write a disclosure, and HP would go ahead with only those patents that
they thought were worth it. Lots of patents are too much trouble even for a
big company with lots of lawyers.

--
{decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4}!nsc!apple!baum		(408)973-3385

ok@quintus.uucp (Richard A. O'Keefe) (08/11/88)

In article <15353@apple.Apple.COM> baum@apple.UUCP (Allen Baum) writes:
>IBM does not patent every innovation. Anyone who has seen the IBM Technical
>Disclosure bulletin would understand that immediately. The Bulletin comes
>out once or twice a month, is a couple of inches thick and full of the ideas
>that they think are clever, but not worth their time to patent.

Sounds great.  (I hope they put software ideas there too!)
What does it cost, and how do I get a sample issue?

baum@Apple.COM (Allen J. Baum) (08/12/88)

[]
>In article <275@quintus.UUCP> ok@quintus.UUCP (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:
>> (Allen Baum) writes: ...the IBM Technical Disclosure Bulletin comes
>>out once or twice a month, is a couple of inches thick and full of the ideas
>>that they think are clever, but not worth their time to patent.
>
>Sounds great.  (I hope they put software ideas there too!)
>What does it cost, and how do I get a sample issue?

I'm not sure how you get hold of it. I've been trying to find out for a couple
of years. Unlike other IBM journals, it might only be available to libraries
and educational institutions. Considering the amount of shelf space a years
worth of it would take, its probably not cheap. If anyone knows more details,
PLEASE post!

--
{decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4}!nsc!apple!baum		(408)973-3385