[comp.arch] HACF

caasnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Clifford Adams) (08/14/88)

In article <1239@ficc.UUCP> peter@ficc.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>If anyone out there has a Compucolor-2 (a Z-80 based PC from the early
>'80s) you can implement HACF from Basic:

>10 FOR I = 1 TO 255: OUT 6,I: NEXT

	An even shorter sequence was possible on one model of the
Commodore PET personal computer.  All that was needed was to place a
certain value xxx into memory location yyy.  Several hours later one
of the video chips would be dead.

	The instruction was:    POKE xxx,yyy

	Apparently the value yyy would put the chip into an adjustment
mode, which increased the frequency of a certain function.  Faster and
faster.....till meltdown.

	What was really interesting is that COMPUTE! magazine (back
when it was good) had an article about this function, *giving the
exact values for xxx and yyy*!  (perhaps that's why I can't find any
PETs :-)

--
 Clifford A. Adams  ---  "I understand only inasmuch as I become."
 ForthLisp Project Programmer   (Goal: LISP interpreter in Forth)