[comp.arch] Balanced system - a tentative defin

aglew@urbsdc.Urbana.Gould.COM (08/14/88)

>Someone a while ago asked what a "balanced system" is.  I propose
>the following definition for debate/flaming:
>
>"A balanced system is one where an improvement in the performance
>of  any single part would not increase the overall performance of
>the system, and where the degrading of any single part would  de-
>crease the overall performance."
>
>        Hubert Matthews

Well, I asked the original question, and my response to this proposed
definition is that it may well be a good definition - but I would
seldom plan to build such a "balanced" system.

This sort of balanced=saturated system would mean that, to improve
the performance of the system, I would have to improve the performance
of all components simultaneously. That is an expensive thing to do.

Maybe incremental cost should enter the definition? Ie. improving the
performance of any single part would not increase the overall
performance of the system _at_ _an_ _acceptable_ _price_/_performance_
_ratio_. This gives flexibility to the defintion - if I can focus
on one component, and find a way to reduce the incremental cost of
improving its performance, I can improve the system changing only one
component.

Andy "Krazy" Glew. Gould CSD-Urbana.    1101 E. University, Urbana, IL 61801
    aglew@gould.com     	- preferred, if you have MX records
    aglew@xenurus.gould.com     - if you don't
    ...!ihnp4!uiucuxc!ccvaxa!aglew  - paths may still be the only way

My opinions are my own, and are not the opinions of my employer, or any
other organisation. I indicate my company only so that the reader may
account for any possible bias I may have towards our products.

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (08/16/88)

In article <28200188@urbsdc> aglew@urbsdc.Urbana.Gould.COM writes:

| >Someone a while ago asked what a "balanced system" is.  I propose
| >the following definition for debate/flaming:
| >
| >"A balanced system is one where an improvement in the performance
| >of  any single part would not increase the overall performance of
| >the system, and where the degrading of any single part would  de-
| >crease the overall performance."
| >
| >        Hubert Matthews

| This sort of balanced=saturated system would mean that, to improve
| the performance of the system, I would have to improve the performance
| of all components simultaneously. That is an expensive thing to do.

  Sounds like a great definition to me. I suspect that what you mean is
"a system with equal bottlenecks in all portions, such that doubling the
performance of any one part will produce an equal improvement in
performance."

  A balanced system (matthews definition, not mine) is a very
*inexpensive* implementation, in that no part has unused capacity which
has added expense without adding performance.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

aglew@urbsdc.Urbana.Gould.COM (08/16/88)

>  A balanced system (matthews definition, not mine) is a very
>*inexpensive* implementation, in that no part has unused capacity which
>has added expense without adding performance.
>
>	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

(1) I was referring to expense on the part of the manufacturer,
    not customer - the manufacturer would have to build the
    whole thing over again for version N+1.
It often happens that designing in extra capacity in one subsystem
costs nothing at all in design -- and may end up saving the
customer money in the long run. How many people swapped up
processors on their IBM PC systems?

(2) Cost functions are strongly non-linear.

rik@june.cs.washington.edu (Rik Littlefield) (08/16/88)

In article <11857@steinmetz.ge.com>, davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) writes:

>   ... I suspect that what you mean is
> "a system with equal bottlenecks in all portions, such that doubling the
> performance of any one part will produce an equal improvement in
> performance."
>
>   A balanced system (matthews definition, not mine) is a very
> *inexpensive* implementation, in that no part has unused capacity which
> has added expense without adding performance.

A bit of apples and oranges here.  The first paragraph relates improved
*performance* in a part to improved performance of the whole.  The second
paragraph relates increased *investment* in a part to performance of the
whole.

I think most people implicitly use investment/performance.  (Bangs per
buck, right?)  If I can get 20% net improvement by sinking $50 into
part A or $30 into part B, you can bet I'll choose B regardless of
what the individual performance hikes are.

--Rik Littlefield

#include std.disclaimer