[comp.arch] Mips figures.

pf@diab.se (Per Fogelstr|m) (08/21/88)

Just wondering....

Anyone else who has seen the connection  Dhrystones / 2 = Claimed mips ?.

It work out for nearly all modern processors.

Well, what the ...  I just thought it was a fun thing.

mash@mips.COM (John Mashey) (08/23/88)

In article <422@ma.diab.se> pf@ma.UUCP (Per Fogelstr|m) writes:
>Just wondering....
>
>Anyone else who has seen the connection  Dhrystones / 2 = Claimed mips ?.
>
>It work out for nearly all modern processors.

>Well, what the ...  I just thought it was a fun thing.

It's not a terrible rule of thumb, for scalar processors.
However, there is enough variation that you should be careful.
For example:
VAXen: around 1.8
MIP R2000 & HP Precision: both in 2.1-2.4 range
(I pick these because we have enough cross-correlations to believe
in consistent vax-mip (integer) ratings, and all have good compilers.)
Note that there is a 30% variation already from top to bottom.

In general, Dhrystone is a good benchmark to use to beat up on
VAXEN for relative-performance numbers, especially with a modern RISC
with good compilers.
UUCP: 	{ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!mash  OR  mash@mips.com
DDD:  	408-991-0253 or 408-720-1700, x253

cth_co@tekn01.chalmers.se (08/23/88)

In article <422@ma.diab.se>, pf@diab.se (Per Fogelstr|m) writes:
> Just wondering....
>
> Anyone else who has seen the connection  Dhrystones / 2 = Claimed mips ?.

You mean Dhrystones / 2000 = Mips?

pf@diab.se (Per Fogelstr|m) (08/23/88)

In article <135@tekn01.chalmers.se> cth_co@tekn01.chalmers.se writes:
>In article <422@ma.diab.se>, pf@diab.se (Per Fogelstr|m) writes:
>> Anyone else who has seen the connection  Dhrystones / 2 = Claimed mips ?.
>
>You mean Dhrystones / 2000 = Mips?

Picky eh.... 8-).

But yes, that is what i meant.