[comp.arch] Wanted: bus speed information, general survey

yba@arrow.bellcore.com (Mark Levine) (09/07/88)

I am interested in obtaining a survey of modern and expected-soon bus
speeds.  I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has a good
survey, knows where to find a list of bus architectures and transfer
rates, etc.

My purpose will be to compare moving bits across a computer bus with
other paradigms for moving computer data about (like a Local Area
Network).  Bus limit(s) imposed by DMA hardware, maximum burst rates,
or contention is useful information.  (Example: folklore has it the VME
bus could go at 160 MB/sec if ALL the controllers were designed to
cooperate, but practically VME always goes at a small fraction of
that).

How bold a statement is "the 60 MB/sec I/O throughput rate of a DEC
6200 is about as fast as we can expect to see for a few years in the
workstation/mini/super-mini class" (whatever that class is, mostly
under $1M)?  How many things are out there reliably pumping over 150
Mb/s?  Are manufacturer's quoted speeds inflated by the width of the
bus, number of processors, or assumptions about contention?  Quotable
sources appreciated, but not required.

Is this an appropriate place to ask?  Any better pointers?

jim@belltec.UUCP (Mr. Jim's Own Logon) (09/08/88)

In article <849@sword.bellcore.com>, yba@arrow.bellcore.com (Mark Levine) writes:

> My purpose will be to compare moving bits across a computer bus with
> other paradigms for moving computer data about (like a Local Area
> Network).  Bus limit(s) imposed by DMA hardware, maximum burst rates,
> or contention is useful information.  (Example: folklore has it the VME
> bus could go at 160 MB/sec if ALL the controllers were designed to
> cooperate, but practically VME always goes at a small fraction of
> that).
>
> How bold a statement is "the 60 MB/sec I/O throughput rate of a DEC
> 6200 is about as fast as we can expect to see for a few years in the
> workstation/mini/super-mini class" (whatever that class is, mostly
> under $1M)?  How many things are out there reliably pumping over 150
> Mb/s?  Are manufacturer's quoted speeds inflated by the width of the
> bus, number of processors, or assumptions about contention?  Quotable
> sources appreciated, but not required.

    Perhaps the simplest way to aproach this is to look at the factors
involved, as opposed to what has been done already. The simple factors
in bus transfer bandwidth is the bus width and the transfer time. Assume
32 bit bus (although for a multiprocessor memory bus I would prefer 128 bits)
and assume that the majority of transfers are from a cpu to memory. At this
stage in the hardware evolution, the processors are much faster than the
memory. so all transfers are memory bound. For 100 nsec RAM, the fastest
complete cycle will take about 200 nsec. This is 5 million transfers a second.
If every transfer moves 32 bits this is a throughput of 160 megabits per
second. This is about what VME and MB II quote for their burst transfers.

    It would be easy (relatively speaking) to design a general purpose bus
to do double this. THe hardware to achieve this transfer rate would be
rather expensive though.

    This has been a very general answer to a very complex question. Their
are a lot more factors involved than those I have mentioned (so nobody jump
all over me for simplifying). This is what us hardware architects get paid
big bucks to do. Weigh all the factors, costs, desires, and problems and
make a compromise that annoys everybody.

						-Jim Wall