[comp.arch] phase logic

jdr+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeff Rosenfeld) (09/28/88)

There have recently been posts here concerning ideas involving the use of phase
logic in digital(?) computers. This concept intrigues me but I am unable to
locate any articles describing how such a thing might work.

Would some kind soul be able to enlighten a curious engineering student with
regard to how these beasts might work?
I am particularly curious about how sequential logic and memory cells might
work with phase logic.

Thanks,
                - Jeff.

beyer@houxs.UUCP (J.BEYER) (09/28/88)

In article <oXE4Uvy00V4B80o0Rl@andrew.cmu.edu>, jdr+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeff Rosenfeld) writes:
> There have recently been posts here concerning ideas involving the use of phase
> logic in digital(?) computers. This concept intrigues me but I am unable to
> locate any articles describing how such a thing might work.

Do you mean parametrons? These were, if memory serves, devices with two magnetic
cores powered by an AC power supply. They  were a resonant circuit with two
stable states: One in one phase with respect to the power supply and one in
the other phase. You could change the phase by suitable inputs. The things
held promise for low-cost before transistors could be made for less than about
$10./each. But they were slow. As I recall, 100000 operations per second was an
upper bound, and 10000 to 20000 were more typical. I imagine they were quite
resistant to nuclear radiation. I believe the Japanese built some computers
using these. I would look them up in literature of the late 1950's or early
1960's.
--
Jean-David Beyer
A.T.&T., Holmdel, New Jersey, 07733

ECULHAM@UALTAVM.BITNET (User name Unknwon) (09/29/88)

In article <oXE4Uvy00V4B80o0Rl@andrew.cmu.edu>, jdr+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeff Rosenfeld) writes:

>There have recently been posts here concerning ideas involving the use of phase
>logic in digital(?) computers. This concept intrigues me but I am unable to
>locate any articles describing how such a thing might work.
>
>Would some kind soul be able to enlighten a curious engineering student with
>regard to how these beasts might work?
>I am particularly curious about how sequential logic and memory cells might
>work with phase logic.
>
>Thanks,
>                - Jeff.

There was a very interesting article in IEEE Transactions on Computers
Vol 37, No 2, Feb. 1988, pages 138-145.

It was titled "Embedding Computation in One-Dimentional Automata by
Phase Coding Solitons".

If anyone is interested in actually building one of these
parity-next-state computers in VLSI, please contact me.

Earl Culham, ECULHAM@UALTAVM.BITNET