[comp.arch] Sun RAS/CAS Patent, the real story?

sjs@jcricket.ctt.bellcore.com (Stan Switzer) (10/14/88)

In article <1988Oct13.165717.10262@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp
(Henry Spencer) writes:
> In article <2567@sultra.UUCP> dtynan@sultra.UUCP (Der Tynan) writes:
> >With all this talk of a Sun RAS/CAS pseudo-patent, my curiosity is piqued.
> >Would someone care to give a description of the patent? ...
>
> The basic notion is, since the RAMs want the address in two parts, one at
> a time, if you choose things like page size carefully, you can hand the
> RAMs the untranslated low-order bits first, and run the high-order bits
> through the MMU while the RAMs are contemplating the low-order bits.

Which is pretty much what I thought too, but I recall reading about
this very scheme in the 3B20 special issue of the BSTJ back in (I
think) 1983.  Does AT&T pay Sun licensing fees for this (presumably
unobvious) innovation?  Or perhaps there is more to it.  What gives?

Stan Switzer		"Thou shalt not have no idea."
sjs@ctt.bellcore.com