[comp.arch] simplisticity quote: RISC v. CISC

eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (10/21/88)

In article <5863@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> elg@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Eric Green) writes:
>Someone else on this newsgroup mentioned that Seymour Cray's secret to
>a fast computer was to put as few gates as possible in critical paths.
>Anybody got a reference for where Cray said that?

I'm certain it's derived from Anonymous' (doesn't he or she say a lot?)
long list of quotes.  I have:

"The fastest, cheapest and most reliable components of a computer are
those that aren't there.

Attributed to Gordon Bell while at Encore (now Ardent)
Page 62, More Programming Pearls, by Jon Bentley, A-W, 1988. (collection
of CACM articles.)

Another similar quote is "Better is the enemy of good enough." 8-)

Another gross generalization from

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "Mailers?! HA!", "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  {uunet,hplabs,ncar,decwrl,allegra,tektronix}!ames!aurora!eugene
  "Send mail, avoid follow-ups.  If enough, I'll summarize."

In article <1781@eos.UUCP> eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) writes:
>Another similar quote is "Better is the enemy of good enough." 8-)

In a variant form ("The best is the enemy of the good"), this has been
attributed to Sergei Gorshkov, the man who turned the Soviet Navy from
a joke to the US Navy's biggest worry.
--
The meek can have the Earth;    |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
the rest of us have other plans.|uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu