[comp.arch] RISC/CISC and the wheel of life.

I have noticed one very interesting thing about RISCs lately... they are
getting quite sophisticated instruction sets. 3-address operations and
addressing modes aren't what I used to associate with RIS, but if you look
at them they turn out to be refinements of older RISCs.

What's happening, of course, is that the chips are so much faster than any
sort of affordable RAM that it's worthwhile to put more into the instructions.
The speed of the system as a whole goes up, since the chip can still handle
all three register references in one external clock. No point in fetching
instructions any faster than that...

I don't know whether this will end up with a one-instruction-per-cycle 68000,
before memory/cache technology catches up, but it's always interesting to
watch the wheel turn.
--
Peter da Silva  `-_-'  Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
"Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?"            peter@ficc.uu.net

krish@jetsun.WEITEK.COM (Krishnan Sridhar) (10/20/88)

In article <1945@ficc.uu.net>, peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> I have noticed one very interesting thing about RISCs lately... they are
> getting quite sophisticated instruction sets. 3-address operations and
> addressing modes aren't what I used to associate with RIS, but if you look
> at them they turn out to be refinements of older RISCs.

Yes. In fact, I would even go as far as saying that today's CISC is tomorrow's
RISC (as somebody said ... everything is relative...)!

- Krish

eric@snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) (10/21/88)

In article <1945@ficc.uu.net>, peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> I have noticed one very interesting thing about RISCs lately... they are
> getting quite sophisticated instruction sets. 3-address operations and
> addressing modes aren't what I used to associate with RIS, but if you look
> at them they turn out to be refinements of older RISCs.

My understanding of RISC philosophy suggests that 3-address ops and fancy
addressing modes are only regarded as *symptoms* of the RISC problem -- poor
match of instructions to compiler code generator capabilities, excessive
miceocode-interpretation overhead in both cycles and chip real estate.

If your compiler can make effective use of three-address instructions, and
you've got CAD tools smart enough to gen logic for them onto an acceptably
small % of the chip area (so that you don't have to give up on more important
features like a big windowed register file and on-chip MMU), then I don't see
any problem with calling the result a RISC.

But, then, I am only-an-egg when it comes to hardware...
--
      Eric S. Raymond                     (the mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)
      UUCP: ...!{uunet,att,rutgers}!snark!eric = eric@snark.UUCP

In article <1945@ficc.uu.net>, peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> I have noticed one very interesting thing about RISCs lately... they are
> getting quite sophisticated instruction sets. 3-address operations and
> addressing modes aren't what I used to associate with RIS, but if you look
> at them they turn out to be refinements of older RISCs.

Since "RISC" has become a marketing buzzword, many things are called "RISC"
that are not.  Also, many people are prone to say "well, RISC is a great
thing, but if our hardware doesn't do XYZ directly, it can't possibly be
fast", without actually studying the matter in detail to find out whether
this assertion is really true.  So something that starts out as a RISC gets
steadily more complicated due to the union-of-wishlists effect.  Only a
few outfits -- MIPS and HP come to mind -- really do their homework
before deciding whether to add a feature.
--
The dream *IS* alive...         |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
but not at NASA.                |uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu