[comp.arch] MIPS vs. SPARC

pavlov@hscfvax.harvard.edu (G.Pavlov) (10/24/88)

In article <6243@wright.mips.COM>, rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) writes:

> Yes, but Sun 4's are not representative of leading-edge RISC design, or of
> efficient RISC architecture.
>
> Remember, SPARC ~= RISC.

  Sun 4's may not be the RISC cat's meow while the MIPS machine may be. But
  I think we are going to have to buy into the lowly Suns.  After four
  months of Real Soon Now promises from MIPS, we still have not been able to
  get on one of the "fab" machines.  Anyone (other than DEC people) actually
  seen or worked on one of these MIPS machines ?  I would love to hear from
  anyone who has had the experience.

  greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny,  716-834-0900

rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) (10/25/88)

In article <646@hscfvax.harvard.edu> pavlov@hscfvax.harvard.edu (G.Pavlov) writes:
>  Sun 4's may not be the RISC cat's meow while the MIPS machine may be. But
>  I think we are going to have to buy into the lowly Suns.  After four
>  months of Real Soon Now promises from MIPS, we still have not been able to
>  get on one of the "fab" machines.  Anyone (other than DEC people) actually
>  seen or worked on one of these MIPS machines ?  I would love to hear from
>  anyone who has had the experience.

I have been sending you mail weekly for two months now offering the
use of the M/120 in the Burlington sales office for Ingres benchmarking;
obviously, something hasn't been getting through, and I'd rather not have
the company impugned, however well-intentioned, for Email's failures, so
I'm replying here via news.  Call Steve Stephenson at (617) 270-0613 to
arrange a time; the machine is ready to go, and has been, with Ingres and
sufficient memory, for about eight weeks now.
--
Roger B.A. Klorese                               MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
{ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!rogerk	                  928 E. Arques Ave.