[comp.arch] CMOS power consumption

mark@mips.COM (Mark G. Johnson) (10/26/88)

In article <28200216@urbsdc> aglew@urbsdc.Urbana.Gould.COM writes:

   >As I understand it, there are two components of CMOS dynamic power
   >consumption: (1) the inherent power consumption as you go through
   >charge/discharge cycles on your nodes; (2) the transient that occurs
   >if both the n and p networks are switched on at the same, brief,
   >time, in transition.
   >
   >The first seems to be inherent.   Cannot the second be controlled...

(2) Sure.  A standard stunt is to design a CMOS device such that
		abs(VTP) + abs(VTN) > abs(VDD)
(in words, the turn-on voltages of the transistors are made large enough
that it is impossible for them to be simultaneously on (with a fixed
power supply)).  This trick is common in low-power applications like
telecom chips, calculators, and wristwatches.

(1) Great strides in this area have been made in CMOS static RAM design ---
presently the truly fast ones operate at 70-100 MHz.  They just use
good ole engineering to attack the supply-current equation
		I_ = n * C * (delta-V) / (delta-T)
where  n is the number of nodes switching;  C is the average capacitance
per node; delta-V is the voltage difference applied to the average capacitor;
delta-T is the average duration of a charge/discharge cycle; and I_ is the
long-term average (filtered over, say, 10**-1 seconds) dynamic current.

--
 -- Mark Johnson
 	MIPS Computer Systems, 930 E. Arques, Sunnyvale, CA 94086