[comp.arch] A request...***WARNING***

cl@datlog.co.uk (Charles Lambert) (10/28/88)

In article <980@naucse.UUCP> sbw@naucse.UUCP (Steve Wampler) writes:
>  I have four programs that I'd like to compare the
>performance of on various machines.
>Anyway, if any of you would be willing to run them and report back
>the timings to me, I'd be most grateful.

You may be absolutely on the level,  Steve.  If so, please don't take offence
at the following warning.

****TROJAN HORSE WARNING****

All system administators and users (particularly novices) should be aware
that the above request *might* be a classic "Trojan Horse".  That is:  a
trick to get invasive software into your system.  If you intend to cooperate
with Steve,  check the sources that he sends you,  check them minutely and
have someone more experienced than you check them.

-----------
Charles Lambert
cl@datlog.co.uk

joh@oakhill.UUCP (Joe Hollinger) (11/01/88)

In article <914@dlhpedg.co.uk> cl@datlog.co.uk (Charles Lambert) writes:
>****TROJAN HORSE WARNING****
>
>All system administators and users (particularly novices) should be aware
>that the above request *might* be a classic "Trojan Horse". If you intend
>to cooperate with Steve,  check the sources that he sends you,  check
>them minutely and have someone more experienced than you check them.
>Charles Lambert
>cl@datlog.co.uk

Yea, and always look over your shoulder because the rest of us are
watching and plotting against you.

steve@obed.uucp (stephen Samuel) (11/03/88)

In article <1635@blockhead.oakhill.UUCP>, joh@oakhill.UUCP (Joe Hollinger) writes:
> In article <914@dlhpedg.co.uk> cl@datlog.co.uk (Charles Lambert) writes:
> >****TROJAN HORSE WARNING****
> >
> >All system administators and users (particularly novices) should be aware
> >that the above request *might* be a classic "Trojan Horse". If you intend
> >cl@datlog.co.uk
> Yea, and always look over your shoulder because the rest of us are

It WOULD be a good idea that you don't run random programs as super-user.
UNIX tends to be a bit more robust RE viruses and TH's, but mostly because
few people run as root, so damage tends to be localized and can't usually
get into the kernel.
	Of course, a few seconds as root can do a lot of damage...
(can you say, "are em star"???)
--
Stephen samuel !alberta!{obed,edm}!steve
Look on the bright side... It might have worked!