[comp.arch] ETA-10

rpeglar@eta.unix.ETA.COM (Rob Peglar) (11/01/88)

It's been interesting to read the various (mis-) information on the
newsgroup about the ETA-10.  I have a mind to just kick back and enjoy,
but some people here have been urging me to respond, so here goes.

Chris Lewis believes the 10 is built with 6k gate ASIC CMOS.

Actually, it's 20k CMOS from a Very Large Company ( starts with H,
HQ in Minneapolis ).  It's ASIC in the sense that Chris describes.
(re posting # 3472 )

Chris also mentioned cycle times (cpu).  Michael Tighe corrected him,
almost. (re 3484)

The cycle times are dependent on the method of cooling.  The CPU boards
are in fact identical in terms of arrays used;  a board is a board is a
board.  The liquid-nitrogen cooled models (E and G) are 10.5 and 7.0 ns,
respectively.  The air-cooled models (P and Q) are 24 and 19 ns,
respectively.  Michael is correct when he says the Cyber 205 is a 20 ns
cycle.

Don Lindsay, in posting 3453, reports that there is a "Great White Hope"
at ETA, concerning the ability to "...roll these things out like cookies".
Puns on boxing or weather or the Mackenzie brothers aside, Don, the fact
is that the air-cooled systems (not just cpus) are indeed coming out of
manufacturing quickly;  about 7 days per system.  Liquid-cooled systems
take longer (30-40 days for a typical 4-cpu system) due to long lead times
for cryogenic equipment and such.  As production really gears up in 1989,
these times are expected to shrink as more efficiencies appear.

Then, a brief flurry about Cray "shared memory" from Eugene Brooks out
at LLNL and Michael.  It's highly amusing to "read between the lines"
and see the effect of Real Users (more correctly, Real Users' perceptions)
on architectural entities.  BTW, Eugene, which Cray were you referring to?
I'll let the net determine if the "honest to God shared memory" is
actually of divine ordinance.

Cheers

Rob

--
Rob Peglar			internet:  rpeglar@bigfoot.unix.eta.com
ETA Systems, Inc. ETC03J 	uucp:      {amdahl,rutgers}!bungia!eta!rpeglar

brooks@maddog.llnl.gov (Eugene Brooks) (11/02/88)

In article <638@woods.unix.ETA.COM> rpeglar@woods.UUCP () writes:
>Then, a brief flurry about Cray "shared memory" from Eugene Brooks out
>at LLNL and Michael.  It's highly amusing to "read between the lines"
>and see the effect of Real Users (more correctly, Real Users' perceptions)
>on architectural entities.  BTW, Eugene, which Cray were you referring to?
>I'll let the net determine if the "honest to God shared memory" is
>actually of divine ordinance.
Any of the multi-cpu models, some of them have better memory subsystem
performance than others, some of them have a shared SSD in ADDITION to the
shared memory.

smryan@garth.UUCP (Steven Ryan) (11/03/88)

Hi Bob!

Now all you need is some software.

Other than VSOS and Peritus.

rpeglar@eta.unix.ETA.COM (Rob Peglar) (11/03/88)

In article <1723@garth.UUCP> smryan@garth.UUCP (Steven Ryan) writes:
>Hi Bob!
>
>Now all you need is some software.
>
>Other than VSOS and Peritus.

I knew someone out there (esp. ex-CDC) would post this.

Steve, ETA System V was released 10/3/88.

No VSOS.  No Peritus.

In the future, Steve, reply through net mail and save bandwidth.

Rob
--
Rob Peglar			internet:  rpeglar@willow.unix.eta.com

clewis@ecicrl.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (11/05/88)

In article <638@woods.unix.ETA.COM> rpeglar@woods.UUCP () writes:
>It's been interesting to read the various (mis-) information on the
>newsgroup about the ETA-10.  I have a mind to just kick back and enjoy,
>but some people here have been urging me to respond, so here goes.
>
>Chris Lewis believes the 10 is built with 6k gate ASIC CMOS.
>
>Actually, it's 20k CMOS from a Very Large Company ( starts with H,
>HQ in Minneapolis ).  It's ASIC in the sense that Chris describes.
>(re posting # 3472 )
>
>Chris also mentioned cycle times (cpu).  Michael Tighe corrected him,
>almost. (re 3484)

Oops.  Sigh.  Sorry.

Just goes to show what happens when you don't have radiation hardened
memory ;-)

Must have had it confused with the CDC 925.  I heard about both machines
from the same person well over a year ago - before the 925 was announced.
Maybe he had 'em confused or maybe I do, or maybe they changed their minds.
Yes, I do know who the "H" company is, but I'd better not say - maybe I
misremember that too.

On a (almost) totally different topic - does anybody know what happened
to the Stanford S1 project?
--
Chris Lewis
{uunet!attcan,uunet,utgpu,yunexus,utzoo}!lsuc!ecicrl!clewis