[comp.arch] 250 MHz SPARC implementation

jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) (11/14/88)

      Prism is making noises about building a 250MHz implementation of Sun's
SPARC architecture out of Gigabit Logic's gallium-arsenide MSI parts.  This,
however, will not be a single chip, but a board.

      (The DoD types will no doubt be grousing about "premature VHSIC
insertion" again, as they do whenever the civilian semiconductor houses
embarrass that program.)

					John Nagle

dww@stl.stc.co.uk (David Wright) (11/16/88)

In article <17839@glacier.STANFORD.EDU> jbn@glacier.UUCP (John B. Nagle) writes:
#
#      Prism is making noises about building a 250MHz implementation of Sun's
#SPARC architecture out of Gigabit Logic's gallium-arsenide MSI parts.  This,
#however, will not be a single chip, but a board.

Interesting.   What will they use for memory?   Sun's implementation in the
Sun 4 uses fast (block) access DRAM rather than cache memory, though I suppose
there's no reason why cache cannot be used with the SPARC.    But if the
cache is on the virtual address side of the MMU (as it usually is with separate
MMU's) it needs to be quite big.   4nSec GAs RAM I can believe, but BIG 4nSec
GAs RAM?

Another point - how big is this board?   4nSec * C is only a few inches.
This is why single-chip RISC processors win out ultimately.  CISC Mainframe
processors which are many-chip get over the speed-of-light problem to
some extent by pipelining instructions - eg 3 in 30nSec rather than one
complete cycle in 10nSec.   The SPARC architecture assumes only one
instruction executed between a jump instruction and the intruction at the
jump address.  I guess you could 'unwind' extra ones from the pipeline
but it wouldn't be simple.

I'm not saying a 250Meg SPARC can't be done, just that it won't be easy.
With the technology pushed that hard you get into vanishing returns, so it
will be very expensive too.

But if I'm wrong, and Prism make it both fast and (fairly) cheap, I WANT ONE!

Disclaimer: I'm no expert on this: if you think you know better you're
probably right.
--
Regards,
        David Wright           STL, London Road, Harlow, Essex  CM17 9NA, UK

prc@ERBE.SE (Robert Claeson) (11/16/88)

In article <17839@glacier.STANFORD.EDU>, jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) writes:

>       Prism is making noises about building a 250MHz implementation of Sun's
> SPARC architecture out of Gigabit Logic's gallium-arsenide MSI parts.  This,
> however, will not be a single chip, but a board.
>
>       (The DoD types will no doubt be grousing about "premature VHSIC
> insertion" again, as they do whenever the civilian semiconductor houses
> embarrass that program.)

I guess that's true for Intel's 80486 chip as well.
--
Robert Claeson
EUnet: rclaeson@erbe.se   Smart ARPAnet: rclaeson@erbe.se