[comp.arch] Sun slowness

snoopy@sopwith.UUCP (Snoopy T. Beagle) (11/10/88)

In article <360@auspex.UUCP> guy@auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) writes:
|>Yep, SUN keeps making liars out of the people who say that the CPU
|>has ceased to be a bottleneck. :-)
|
|s/the CPU/memory - most of the slowness I've seen on Suns has been due
|to paging.

Yes, but what is the paging due to?

    _____
   /_____\    Snoopy
  /_______\
    |___|     tektronix!tekecs!sopwith!snoopy
    |___|     sun!nosun!illian!sopwith!snoopy

guy@auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) (11/11/88)

 >|>Yep, SUN keeps making liars out of the people who say that the CPU
 >|>has ceased to be a bottleneck. :-)
 >|
 >|s/the CPU/memory - most of the slowness I've seen on Suns has been due
 >|to paging.
 >
 >Yes, but what is the paging due to?

Big software.  What did you expect - paging due to a slow CPU?

c60a-1cu@web-1b.berkeley.edu (Drew Dean) (11/12/88)

In article <424@auspex.UUCP> guy@auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) writes:
> >|s/the CPU/memory - most of the slowness I've seen on Suns has been due
> >|to paging.
> >
> >Yes, but what is the paging due to?
>
>Big software.  What did you expect - paging due to a slow CPU?
I/O bandwidth is the next workstation frontier...The Suns in the undergraduate
labs around here often end up being used in a timesharing mode, and when the
system gets busy (we have 60 Sun 3/50's on 4 fileservers), I've waited
7 minutes (and then given up), to get a login prompt from X Windows....Now
each 3/50 is (for integer operations) about as fast as a Vax 11/780 (note:
I said about...I mean anywhere from roughly .6 - 1.8 times as fast).  That's
still plenty of CPU -- but everything goes over the Ethernet...just not
enough bandwidth....If there was money to put a 40Mb SCSI drive on each 3/50
(for paging and common programs), I think that we'd see a large speedup when
the load gets up.....

Drew Dean
Internet: c60a-1cu@web.berkeley.edu
UUCP: ...!ucbvax!web!c60a-1cu
FROM Disclaimers IMPORT StandardDisclaimer;

deraadt@dataspan.UUCP (Theo De Raadt) (11/20/88)

In article <424@auspex.UUCP>, guy@auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) writes:

>  >|>Yep, SUN keeps making liars out of the people who say that the CPU
>  >|>has ceased to be a bottleneck. :-)
>  >|
>  >|s/the CPU/memory - most of the slowness I've seen on Suns has been due
>  >|to paging.
>  >
>  >Yes, but what is the paging due to?
>
> Big software.  What did you expect - paging due to a slow CPU?

Ok, my turn :-)
Ok, so now we need SISC - "Small-Instruction Set computers"... great.

No really, a lot of instruction sets chew up memory too fast. Gee, I
guess one way to make the code smaller, is to use a CISC?
 <tdr.

--
  / /            /   / \ _   _      /_/_  Theo de Raadt:       (403) 289-4620